Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

99 problems, volvo is one

Views : 751

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 15:16   #1
andyv40turbo

Default 99 problems, volvo is one

so it went for its mot, failed, brilliant
emmision problems caused by leaks in the front and mid section of exhaust, so these where replaced
various other bits and pieces got done and it passed its mot, air box was also put back on to replace k and n filter as this was the initial thought cause of the problem.

now previous to all this i had been playing the actuator turn up turbo game, but could not for the life of me squeeze more than 10 psi out of it, but now all the leaks have been fixed the vacuum line running to the boost guage has squeezed its self shut and i can only imagine from this that it is running a bit more...
this is not to say that the car is now running super fast though, its very low on power and seems very hesitant to go, rev drops and judders.

firstly i have contacted the garage and plan on taking it back 2moro, but is this all just from the turned up turbo pushing out too much? would the ecu fighting it cause all this? if thats the case ill just turn it down but ill still need a new (stronger) vacuum line, but surely it would just be going super fast before it blows up?

any thoughts would be very much appreciated
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 15:31   #2
pinhead
Master Member

seems you're getting a vacuum causing the boost pipe to squeeze shut, pressure would have the opposite reaction

sure you turned the actuator the right way?

also where have you t pieced into for the boost gauge?
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 16:03   #3
andyv40turbo

oh yeah, if the turbo was up then the extra boost shouldn't cause any vacuum change should it? not enough to squash it anyways
and yeah im sure it was turning the right way (its a just the turbo'd v4o not the t4 so 10 psi is putting out more already)
it was working all great before it went in for mot and got its exhaust did.
i think im going to just have to take it back and see what they are gonna do!
I cant belive they would return it how it is!
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 16:28   #4
pinhead
Master Member

shouldnt see why an mot would damage or change anything, they only fast idle the engine for a short period for emissions apart from that they shouldnt of touched anything engine related

if upping the boost i shouldnt see the vacuum increasing at all, specially to a point where it would suck the pipe closed, what sort of piping are you using for the boost gauge? if its silicone and not the clear pvc stuff this would cause an issue
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 16:50   #5
m1tch1987
Premier Member

The turbo won't be on full boost when doing an MOT though lol have you checked its not something like an O2 issue or MAF?

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 19:13   #6
andyv40turbo

no not checked, my real problem is, is that all seemed to be fine before it went in for the mot! new exhaust bits on due to apparent leaks and now it runs like a bag of spanners. will see what they say 2moro, and yeah clear pvc stuff. not sure where i can get like braided hoses or something but didnt really think it would be needed... hmmm
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 18:01   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Not another K&N filter induced problem! If you don't oil them in exactly the right way they don't filter out the ultra fine sand crystals that creep past your rings and valve guide seals into the oil, where they are nearly as good as diamond crystals for causing premature wear of the main bearings and rings.

Those tiny particles of Silicon won't be stopped by a simple oil filter and they are one of the most damaging contaminants of engine oil and every bit as bad as anti freeze from a headgasket fault or fuel from a faulty injector or too much time at idle.

If you oil a K&N too much then some of the ECU related sensors, like the MAF one can get oiled up and give a false reading. They might look good, but is one or two percent extra power worth the poor filtration performance.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 00:13   #8
andyv40turbo

as far as im aware the k and n isnt to blame just yet, it was taken off to see if it effected the emmisions, like i said when i took it to the garage it was running sweet!
took it back to the garage today and they said they would sort it, but wether this means for free (as they broke it) or not im yet to find out, really annoyed as the other guy said thats how it was running when it arrived NOT THE CASE! i could barely get it there this morning without it dying on me, i think id notice!!! gah! hope this gets sorted soon, i wanna enjoy my car again! please santa?
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 00:20   #9
andyv40turbo

im pretty sure them fixing the leaks has meant that the "turned up" turbo is now pushing out to much, in turn the ecu is spaffing itself an trying to calm everything down, id try it myself but im not used to taking my perfectly working car to a garage, paying lots of money and to then receive the biggest piece of hoof car in return! in all honesty i have no idea how to approach this, really not good with confrontation but im beginning to think im being done! really now hoping all gets rectified soon