Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt/water pump recommendation

Views : 1532

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2012, 09:14   #11
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughlanc View Post
Couldn't agree more. I replaced my wishbown bushes (with non-genuine parts) on my P2 V70 just over a year back just before the MOT. My MOT is coming round again and whilst changing discs and pads a few days back I noticed that they are begining to show signs of splitting again. Although this is only apparrent when the front of the car is jacked up they sure won't get through next years test.
Few days back I was in my local Volvo dealership and I enquired into how much a genuine set would have cost. The kicker.......... not much more than the cheap crap !

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Here`s another.......

Those on this forum know i only buy Volvo but this time............

I bought my `97 T5 V70 just 12months ago and before i bought it the seller had done servicing a month or so before including new trackrod ends.

When having the front wheels off one of the trackrod ends the rubber has loads of fine cracks in it and sure enough my MOT yesterday it failed on this trackrod end rubber which could let in road grit etc.

They replaced it straight away with another cheap one £16.10p to save time from Volvo.

But here is the startling fact that split component had only done 2,863 miles in the year i have owned it so overall 3,000 max.

I bet the garage think they will change the cheap one again this time next year???
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 12:35   #12
rupertfinch

Oh no doubt many, many cheap parts aren't fit for purpose. I recall replacing droplinks on my previous 3 series touring, and having them fail within months!!!

But surely somebody has good things to say about other OE items? So far I've just found a thread on fairly good droplinks, but not much else...

Then again, that could be telling me all I need to know and I should man up and swallow full-whack prices, so that the next owner can enjoy blissful motoring at my expense, or I might be forced to keep the bugger for years to come!
rupertfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 16:37   #13
Dog_Book
Idiot

Just go to FRF Volvo C3. Cheaper than aftermarket (mostly) and unless your going to double the age of the car should last you until you do.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote