Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats Volvos AWD system like?

Views : 794

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2012, 19:11   #1
Palmer
Premier Member

Default Whats Volvos AWD system like?

In the earlier cars like the P1 V70R?
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 21:07   #2
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

The early early ones were very prone to damage from uneven tyre wear but the later Haldex transfer boxes are more reliable. General consensus is keep tyre wear within 1-2mm and rotate front to rear every 5000 miles, it can also mean 4 new tyres if you get a puncture unless you can get a part worn the same depth.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 21:18   #3
Palmer
Premier Member

Are they good at road holding?

The 0-60 times seem a bit less to other 4WD/AWD cars of the same power....
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 21:24   #4
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

No idea mate, never owned one.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 23:00   #5
Volvo6
Master Member

Quote:
Are they good at road holding?
When you say road holding do you mean mechanical grip, ie the ability of the suspension and tyres to keep themselves stuck to the road surface or the ability of the 4wd to apply power to the road effectively, ie traction?

In terms of grip the cars are generally very good, their low stance (the Rs..) and suspension seems to hold them to the road very well, although of course, especially in the wet mechanical grip is more than anything determined by the tyre's ability to adhere to the surface although the suspension's ability to keep the tyre in the best position to do so is also important.

Under power though, ie traction they are by modern standards...a bit rubbish. The 1st gen V70 was never great at applying its power effectively to the road surface anyway, indeed for me that is what makes driving a T5 for example in the wet/snow so amusing...esp with just the 205 tyres on wheelspin is very much the order of the day! The TRACS system is hopeless compared to modern spin control. Adding what is a rather slow to respond viscous coupling AWD system was an improvement but again it is agricultural by modern standards and while it can kill the power induced understeer that the FWD V70s suffer from to a point it is not as good as the modern haldex systems that can send variable amounts of power to different wheels in the blink of an eye.

My take on the V70R AWD is that it is a heavily turbocharged car with still essentially front wheel drive driving characteristics; the engine feels lazy at lower RPM and then wakes up rather suddenly when the turbo spools up which puts a big demand on the front tyres that the system struggles to keep up with pushing on. I would still characterise it though as a good handling car though; it shares the same general weakness of the 1st V70 by modern standards of a rather flexible structure which makes it feel a bit vague in the corners sometimes but it can tightened up with braces etc but apart from the that the 'R' treatment really improved it. It rides nice and low which balances the handling and actually probably the AWD system improved the car more by virtue of moving some weight backwards than being AWD in of itself! I'm not sure about this but I think having the IRS at the back rather than the delta link of the FWD V70 has also improved the ride a bit.

In short it will hold the road well in the twisties although will not feel particularly agile on really windy stuff...it is after all an estate car not a go kart! Just don't be too disappointed if you find the power delivery to the road a bit inefficient, 250hp is quite a lot to send to mostly the front wheels if you have no system of traction control to speak of (TRACS is not very effective and only works at low speed anyway) and only a relatively slow viscous coupling to distribute power to the rear. If it is just better traction in snow you are after then obviously that doesn't really matter because you'll be going slow...

I while back my dad pulled a very severe evasive maneuver prompted by another car at motorway speed, it held the road like glue (OK it has good tyres on which obviously helps...) to a degree that is quite impressive for a car that has no ESP systems at all. It does feel stuck to the road...but I guess you wouldn't expect anything less from a Volvo!

Quote:
The 0-60 times seem a bit less to other 4WD/AWD cars of the same power....
What are you comparing it to? The manual time is pretty good considering the power/weight ratio. What I would say is that the V70 T5/R engine is not about 0-60 time which as you say is not outstanding...what it is really about is 50-70mph! I believe in its day the 850R could give a 911 a run for its money on that count. The overtaking power of the manuals especially in that range is probably the car's strongest point.
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 23:31   #6
Palmer
Premier Member

Well to cut a long story short my RWD converted 300bhp Scooby shat its gearbox and I am currently in the market for a new car. Due to the reliability of my previous Volvos (Havent broke down once![ 3 x 940, 1 x 440]) im debating coming back. I really love the T5's get up and go and the engine note, but im a bit sceptical of going back to FWD or a (excuse the French) p!ss poor AWD.

I was being sensible and looking at a diesel until I stumbled back on the forum haha!
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 10:10   #7
SwedishVillain
Volvoholic

Go on! Come back! We miss you haha You could always see if you could find a 5-pot Diesel like the TDi's in the 850/ph1 x70's or even a D5, they have a lot of go and seem to be robust