Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Installing a stereo below heater controls

Views : 817

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 19:30   #1
magicbusdriver

Default Installing a stereo below heater controls

Hello,
I have just acquired an auxiliary gauge kit, which will go where the stereo currently sits at the top of the dashboard. I want to install a stereo below the heater controls, just above the gearbox tunnel. As this is quite a big space, what suggestions are there for creating a smaller space to fit the stereo into ? Many thanks,
Simon
magicbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magicbusdriver For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 21:10   #2
vlv240
Renault addict

Hi Simon,

First of all I would like to tell you that in my case (in my 240 Dl from '86) the stereo is factory fitted there.

A very good place for it only if it's not a CD/DVD player as you can't insert a disc while driving (having the gear stick in 1-st, 3-rd of 5-th).

Other than that (inconvenient) if you will fit a radio & cassettes player or unit with AUX IN everything should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Vic.

& 1986 240 Dl Saloon LHD since '93
vlv240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 23:04   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

On the early 240s - those with the clock mounted above "switch alley" so pre 1981 - the radio had a surround fitted that filled out the space.

When they revised the dash and moved the radio up to the top of the dash I suspect that there wasn't a trim piece to surround the radio if the gauge pack was ordered.

The easiest solution is probably to make your own surround: measure the aperture and cut a cardboard template then mark out the radio's position on this and transfer it to a piece of foamboard. Make sure that the radio is at the bottom of the card, so the foamboard sits round it like a collar.

The fitting process is straightforward, especially if you remove the two plastic side pieces and the glovebox. Fit the gauge pack at the same time as you re-locate the radio.

It's not difficult, especially if you take your time over the exercise.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 22:37   #4
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I made a mounting plate to fit a standard DIN radio in the lower position using an old formica placemat, of all things. My first attempt was with thick plastic sheet and it proved too flexible. Anyhow, it works fine, and I wrapped the mounting plate in colour-matched vinyl so it looks 100% stock, it looks lkie it came from the factory this way.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 20:36   #5
AceHigh86

I've got mine fitted down in that spot (never even tried to get a CD in, i just use the USB) although i don't know who fitted it there as the slot and cradle we're already in place when i got the car. But when i took it apart it looks like someone has bought one of the under dash mounts from halfords to support it and got a colour matching piece of trim to hide the front, works well, but there is less space for wires (struggled to get the standard speaker wires in with a harness plug, then i've added all the Aux bits for the amp)

Find it's a better location for night driving as the lights are out of your field of vision, and it's still close enough to use whilst driving (rather than a hidden glovebox install)

Lee
AceHigh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 13:58   #6
rustytoba
Master Member

As it happened I used to run a 760, and when I got the 240 there was no sounds, so fitted the radio unit from the 760 in the AUX gauge unit, and the matching cassette unit in the floor mounted slot, the connecting cable just stretches and no more.

That lasted about 6 months and the cassette decided to not only stop working but chew the hell out of my fave JMJ tape, bummer.

Anyway I liked the 760 radio with built in 5 bar EQ (its also the first OEM fitted car radio to pickup info RDS), I kept that and doubled all the feeds from the radio to the floor mounted slot.

So for about 2 years now I have been running a switch that selects radio above and CD/etc below.

It can be a pain getting disks in but when in 'N' (auto), it is easy enough, the unit itself is only held in place with about 2 CD's, so playing the traffic light grand prix does tend to make the stereo leap back a bit but in the auto you have about 11/2" of selector gate to stop it in its tracks.

Happy new year

Rusty
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 14:34   #7
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

Go buy an under sling tray for a mini, fits with minimum fuss. Halfrauds or any Unipart shop. Tenner or so.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote