Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Major Service & Light Faults

Views : 2249

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 15:16   #31
TONY1978

Hi Luxobarge,

I've got some WD40 to spray it all down as I also need to do my windscreen wipers. Plus boot hinges. Might use some grease on the bonnet struts as I'm not sure about WD40 for that job..

Is WD40 OK for the boot hinges?

Question: Do you have the large open gap between the wiper mechanism and rear screen?
TONY1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 15:25   #32
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I think spray Lithium Grease is better than WD40 for that. WD= water dispersant (sp?) .
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 15:27   #33
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Hi, WD40 will be OK as a temporary measure, but the element within it which is a lubricant is quite small and very thin, so it will soon disperse. It's great as a water dispersant (that's what the WD stands for after all) but not so good as a lubricant especially in outside weather-exposed situations. I use spray grease (or chain-lube) which lasts much longer - in fact motorcycle chain lube also has excellent water repelling properties, for obvious reasons. It's really good for lubricating things like this, and also door/boot hinges and loads of other stuff.

Yes, I did have the "gap" between the wiper and the screen, but after I got the whole mechanism properly lubricated and "supple" the whole blade now stays in contact with the screen at all times, with no gap.

HTH.

Cheers

Last edited by Luxobarge; Dec 31st, 2012 at 16:18.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 15:51   #34
MetB4

Smile

I can highly recommend Serbera Tuning in Lincoln, I often take mine up there despite the distance as Keran does a splendid job...and he is an 850/V70 enthusiast. He owns an "R".

Another great garage is Dave Clark Vehicle Services, also in Lincoln. Served me well since 1996 (just after early retirement).
Well worth the trip, and you get a car to use if you need one.

Both are excellent and will never rip you off.

MB4

MetB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MetB4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 14:19   #35
TONY1978

Right, I've started buggering about with my Volvo V70 as the weather is finally half decent..

1) Started taking the ETM apart and I can't get to the 4th bolt with a 10mm spanner so I'll have to wait till tomorrow when I buy a socket set.

2) Took out the plastic thinga-majiga that is attached to the airbox. Should it be secured to the front of the engine bay with rubber bungs?

Also, should the airbox move about? When everything was secure, the airbox moved about too much for my liking. Might be that the thinga-majiga wasn't secured properly at the front of the engine bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Bay.jpg (188.1 KB, 10 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 16:43   #36
TONY1978

The interior screws on the dashboard, are they called Torx screws?
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 16:48   #37
mikealder
VOC Member

Yes, mostly size T20.

Not too sure why you can't get the ETM out using a 10MM spanner as that is all I used last time I took mine out, the last bolt is a tad difficult but it can be done. That said a socket set makes life much easier.
Don't try to pry the electrical connection off the ETM as this isn't a connector, the connector for the ETM is on the front subframe cross member just behind the radiator but you shouldn't need to disconnect this if only cleaning the inlet.

The airbox when seated in the car is simply sat in to few rubber grommets and it will move about a bit but not too much, it could be it's not seated fully - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 13:43   #38
TONY1978

Sorted the ignition problem out and cleaned the ETM.. Everything is now working OK..

Thanks to everyone for advice especially Mike..

Thanks again.