Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6d turbo and oil issues

Views : 15137

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2013, 13:25   #1
onks81

Default 1.6d turbo and oil issues

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out ive got a knackered turbo on my 06 plate s40 i know theres a thread in regards to that but what i wanted to know was is it normal for these engines to throw engine oil back through the air breather pipe onto the air filter? or could this be the result of a blockage??

thanks

tony
onks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 01:09   #2
Backhill1
Master Member

I do not know this engine but I think it's the same as the ford 1.6 in the focus etc?

You say you have a turbo broken so I don't know why or how or any connection.

Normally the breather connects to the inlet manifold before the cylinders after the air filter before the turbo. It should just be light vapour and not actual oil coming out.

If you are getting oil out the breather this is a result of high crank case pressure, there might be an additional breather blocked. I would run it with the breather disconnected and watch what's coming out, then remove the filler cap( watch for splashes) and see if it changes. If it's still chucking out oil you have a problem beyond a breather.

If the turbo brgs have collapsed it could have sent oil down the inlet pipe but more likely the intercooler gets it not the air filter.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 19:20   #3
S40Matt

"If the turbo brgs have collapsed it could have sent oil down the inlet pipe but more likely the intercooler gets it not the air filter."

I agree.
S40Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 21:59   #4
brokenbritain

Default 1.6 diesel

This oil will be as a result of the failed turbo, also when you replace turbo you MUST replace oil feed pipe as well & check oil pick up and pressure etc, if not your new turbo will be lucky to last a 3 mile test drive!

This engine is a citreon/peugeot 1.6 hdi & I have worked as a technician for citroen so have seen this problem a good few times.
brokenbritain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 22:41   #5
Paffel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbritain View Post
This oil will be as a result of the failed turbo, also when you replace turbo you MUST replace oil feed pipe as well & check oil pick up and pressure etc, if not your new turbo will be lucky to last a 3 mile test drive!

This engine is a citreon/peugeot 1.6 hdi & I have worked as a technician for citroen so have seen this problem a good few times.
I've also had experience of this engine fitted to PSAs.

Question, did you use the correct oil (I think it requires a certain type - low ash content I believe), and have you been changing it regularly?

You need to give the car a thorough going over to remove any carbon deposits, drop the sump off the bottom and have a look underneath and see if there is any buildup - replacing the oil feed pipe and banjo bolts is an absolute must.

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 18:01   #6
onks81

Hi

Yes the car has been serviced regular engine oil has been changed every 8k with the low ash C2 stuff with the oil filter too, the engine had been making a strange rattling sound for a month or so before the turbo went sooo maybe it was something building up?? where is the best place to get a new turbo or a remanufactured turbo?? i've found matts list of the process to replace the turbo so i kinda know what needs doing just need the turbo and parts to go with it all.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 18:51   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onks81 View Post
Hi

Yes the car has been serviced regular engine oil has been changed every 8k with the low ash C2 stuff with the oil filter too, the engine had been making a strange rattling sound for a month or so before the turbo went sooo maybe it was something building up?? where is the best place to get a new turbo or a remanufactured turbo?? i've found matts list of the process to replace the turbo so i kinda know what needs doing just need the turbo and parts to go with it all.
Low ash C2 stuff? can you be a bit more precise as to the specification, please - I do know the 1.6D and D2 are sensitive to the correct specification oil.

5W-30 WSS-M2C913-B or 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5 is what it should of had to comply with the specification?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 21:25   #8
Paffel
VOC Member

As above, its a high output, low consumption engine, and the oil typically runs quite hot. What spec oil have you been using?

Turbo failures on these PSA 1.6D engines are increasingly common (owing to the fact the oil isn't maintained correctly) - people will be refurbing these let/right/centre, so you shouldn't have trouble picking one up from anywhere for a few hundred pounds.

I can't stress enough though, that you really need to clean out as much gunk/carbon deposits as you can, and replace the oil feed pipes at the same time! Otherwise another 1000 miles later and you'll be in the same boat again!

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 18:07   #9
onks81

Hi sorry about the mega late reply the last oil used was carlube c2 5w30 low ash oil. I opened the turbo up and it looks like the bearing has knackered the shaft seems as though it has come the front of the housing and been grinding on the housing no breakages though I will be buying a new turbo soon and changing the oil feed pipes when removing the sump is there anything I need to be looking for or is it a case of cleaning the sump out and popping it back on the car. Also is it suggested to use oil flush to clean the additional muck out of the engine.

Many thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:14   #10
v50inred

Turbo failures are common on all of the 1.6d engines from what I have read.

The 1.6d is considered by many in the motor trade as a chocolate engine.

Turbos being a common failing, I am sure there was a recall on the early ones in the Fiesta and Focus.

I think I read on the forum that some believe the 1.6d as fitted to Volvos is somehow different to the 1.6d as fitted to Fords, Citreons or Peugeots.

I personally don't think there will any difference other than possibly some software or fuel injection system changes.

Though I think the demographic of Volvo owners may actually make more of a difference, I think, the first and second owners in particular may be a little bit more fastidious than their counterparts with PSA Group or Ford vehicles.

Who recommended the Carlube C2 oil? As it is not the correct oil.

That is a low saps oil with normal HTHS levels as per A3,B3,B4 oil and you should have been using A1,B1,A5,B5 oil.

Also using Carlube is false economy, not that it is actually that cheap.

I put it in my Pathfinder for a few thousand miles but the engine sounded harsher and the oil was like water, but I could only find 5w30 C3 in German and Swedish as was in a hurry before a Long journey and had expected GSF to still sell ***hs oil.

Would never use Carlube oil as they are unwilling to publish the full tech specs of the oil so who knows how it stacks up to the competition.

In general would usually put Mobil, Castrol or at a push Comma in any car I own or service for a mate.

There are plenty of good oils at good prices to risk using cheap stuff.

Just my opinion though.

Never had a lubrication related failure in any of my cars and some have done mega miles when sold.

Last edited by v50inred; Apr 2nd, 2013 at 01:23.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote