Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Very poor mpg at 21.5 mpg

Views : 12348

Replies : 119

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 07:53   #61
sprout99
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Your diesel I'm guessing has a DPF Filter (Diesel Particulate Filter)?

On a 2.0D it has an EOLYS fluid additive that is used to clean the DPF but your D5 does not, on the D5 when the cleaning process happens (regen cycle) you will notice a drastic drop in MPG, once regen is complete the MPG will return to normal.

You have to keep an eye on your oil level in the D5 as any unburnt fuel from a regen can make its way into the oil. Your car should have a sticker near the dipstick somewhere to say that the MAX oil level should only be 2/3 - 3/4 up the dipstick and not to the original Full Mark!

we had this once ......have to drop oil to get warning off dash.

Good news though zeb. Try some BG244 and a filter change (when snow has gone as its underneath on D5)
sprout99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout99 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 21:07   #62
danielg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb246 View Post
Did F**K all to it, filled her up with Shell diesel 30 litres and cruised 80-90 mph. Did 200 miles today on the motorway, quite chuffed with the mpg made me put a smile on my face

I will change the fuel filter next month, and see what happens.
Very interesting and happy your mpg has improved, was it the standard or the "special" diesel? My V50 is almost identical to your S40, so hopefully a week away in Feb will give it a good clear out.
danielg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danielg1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 22:11   #63
Zeb246

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg1980 View Post
Very interesting and happy your mpg has improved, was it the standard or the "special" diesel? My V50 is almost identical to your S40, so hopefully a week away in Feb will give it a good clear out.
Thanks, well impressed with the mpg only slight problem though. I did 75 miles of journey and the mpg was 35.7, by the time I got to around 100 miles it went up to 40 mpg. It took bloody ages to get it at that mpg but I somehow managed to keep it up in the highs.

I filled her up with Shell normal diesel, not the special diesel. Though I may fill 15 litres of V-Power.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeb246 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 22:16   #64
Zeb246

Quote:

On a 2.0D it has an EOLYS fluid additive that is used to clean the DPF but your D5 does not, on the D5 when the cleaning process happens (regen cycle) you will notice a drastic drop in MPG, once regen is complete the MPG will return to normal.

You have to keep an eye on your oil level in the D5 as any unburnt fuel from a regen can make its way into the oil. Your car should have a sticker near the dipstick somewhere to say that the MAX oil level should only be 2/3 - 3/4 up the dipstick and not to the original Full Mark!

Correct, my car has the DPF fitted. Now I fully understand what you mean, is there an additive where I can clean the DPF system?

I had a look at the dipstick recently, and it's on 2/3 of oil. But I will keep an eye on the dipstick/oil regularly. At some point i will remove the DPF, I have been quoted £450 physical removal and upgraded software with a free stage 1 remap. This seems very reasonable, and at a good price from Avon Tuning based in Bristol.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 00:48   #65
SonyVaio
VOC Member

You don't need additive to clean your DPF so don't worry about that, yours uses fuel hence the drop in MPG.

It is a good idea to keep a rough eye on your oil level with at least a weekly glance. I do this anyway and I've got a petrol and no DPF (obviously!, before someone else says it). There is a world of information on here and 'out there' about remaps. All I would say is do your homework.

A DPF delete will see (or should see) a slight increase in MPG and certainly stop worrying about DPF problems, I would however not bother until it does actually give you trouble, unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. £450 sounds a pretty good figure but I would ask if it is a custom map (change the parameters of your cars ACTUAL current map) or if it is a generic off the shelf map.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 00:54   #66
Zeb246

Quote:
You don't need additive to clean your DPF so don't worry about that.

It is a good idea to keep a rough eye on your oil level with at least a weekly glance. I do this anyway and I've got a petrol and no DPF (obviously!, before someone else says it). There is a world of information on here and 'out there' about remaps. All I would say is do your homework.

A DPF delete will see (or should see) a slight increase in MPG and certainly stop worrying about DPF problems, I would however not bother until it does actually give you trouble, unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. £450 sounds a pretty good figure but I would ask if it is a custom map (change the parameters of your cars ACTUAL current map) or if it is a generic off the shelf map.

I found a few DPF Cleaner/Additive on ebay, I won't the order DPF additive.
I probably won't get it remapped from Avon Tuning, as I believe it's a custom remap, I will trust Shark90 or Don for remaps. Budget is tight so will have to put the remap and DPF removal on hold.

DPF delete will give slight more power, and will sound much better as the turbo will spool up faster and louder.

I emailed Volvo about the free health check, and they mentioned it takes 1 hour for the check, and £90 for the transmission software upgrade.

I am going to book my car in next week for the free health check.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeb246 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 01:13   #67
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Different dealers will charge different prices for updates but £90 is taking the Michael!

I don't think dealers really like doing the Free health checks as it takes up their time and effectively costs them money. SO when work needs doing some of them seem to sting the customer to recoup the cost for time used on the check. At their quoted cost that is what appears to be happening.

Call them up and ask how much for a TCM update only if available for your car. £90 is pretty much a dealers standard cost for a diagnostic check but this shouldn't be getting charged, especially as it is part in parcel of the 'Free' health check.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 00:24   #68
Zeb246

Quote:
Different dealers will charge different prices for updates but £90 is taking the Michael!

I don't think dealers really like doing the Free health checks as it takes up their time and effectively costs them money. SO when work needs doing some of them seem to sting the customer to recoup the cost for time used on the check. At their quoted cost that is what appears to be happening.

Call them up and ask how much for a TCM update only if available for your car. £90 is pretty much a dealers standard cost for a diagnostic check but this shouldn't be getting charged, especially as it is part in parcel of the 'Free' health check.

I think we all know, that every single dealer will make a fool out of you. Would MRG Chippenham charge the same amount for TCM or Auto box software upgrade, or will they give me a discount? As members on this forum get 10% off.

I will give them a call on the TCM update, and see what they say
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:46   #69
chrisdc

Quote:

Does this mean that a 2.0D will not suffer from horrendous fuel consumption during a regen cycle - because it's burning EOLYS fluid instead of extra diesel to facilitate this process? Still looking for an explanation for my 28.5 mpg figures (when everyone else seems to be getting 40 plus).
chrisdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisdc For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 17:56   #70
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdc View Post
Does this mean that a 2.0D will not suffer from horrendous fuel consumption during a regen cycle - because it's burning EOLYS fluid instead of extra diesel to facilitate this process? Still looking for an explanation for my 28.5 mpg figures (when everyone else seems to be getting 40 plus).
Correct!

The 2.0D if fitted with a DPF will not use fuel as it uses the EOLYS fluid and therefore no great drop in MPG on a regen cycle.

There is so many factors involved when trying to establish exactly why you have reduced MPG, but a number of things to look at or consider:

Tyres: both tyre pressures and type of tyres themself can have an impact on MPG. A drop of only a few PSI can see a reduction of 3 or MPG on its own. Then there is tyre quality, look at the wear rate and energy efficiency of your current tyres. Often cheap (and sometimes expensive) tyres can have a hefty efficiency rating thus costing you in MPG.

EGR: If you have a faulty EGR this can have an effect on MPG

FPS: Fuel Pressure Sensor - if this is faulty or on its way out it can cause havoc with MPG

MAF: Mass Airflow Meter - used to measure air quantity into the engine so the ECU can work out air/fuel mixture, if this is faulty then this will/can drastically reduce MPG.

Brakes: If you have sticking brake callipers then this of course can be very lightly braking the car constantly thus causing a rise in MPG

Injectors: faulty injectors can increase MPG

Glow Plugs:

Engine Service: - well lack of service can cause an increase in MPG, especially so in a diesel where the oil gets that little bit thicker that little bit quicker than a petrol.

External add ons: Roof rails/bars, bike racks etc... These cause drag and therefor increase MPG.

As you can see there is many things that can cause an increase in MPG and I'm sure there is many more factors that I've not even touched on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post: