Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIM Message Display

Views : 929

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 21:52   #1
greasyfingers

Default DIM Message Display

Something I've been meaning to ask since I got the car a couple of months ago - 2001MY V70:

I get all the message options on the DIM display - ie. Average MPG, Instantaneous MPG, Miles to Empty Tank, Average MPH, or Off, but they come up in random order. As I rotate the ring either way, I just have to keep rotating it until I get the display I want; there is no telling where that will be, in the order they come up in.

Is it meant to be like that? I can't think why it would be.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 22:37   #2
fluff110
Just a member...

No that's not normal behaviour

It could be the switches that read the ring rotation in the stalk as they wear out eventually or get gunged up - you may get something similar on the input knob of the radio at some point.

You could try getting another stalk off ebay (something like this or this or this might be OK) and swapping it over. Be a good idea to disconnect the battery before swapping as a precaution.

Or it might be possible to take the stalk apart and clean the switches - there's a panel on the back of it held in with two screws. I've got one in the shed for a project but it's too cold to go out and look at it right now I'm afraid!!
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 08:03   #3
Mnkiboy

Thought it was just mine that did this. Sometimes goes through in the right order, sometimes skips one out and you end up going round and round until the display you want comes up!
Mnkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 08:39   #4
TJMurphy
VOC Member

I've seen this a bit of this on mine as well, sometimes it skips an item or two but keep on rotating and the next time around it's fine. I don't think I've ever seen it produce things in the wrong order though. Has been doing it for years but is so intermittent I thought it was just "the way it is"!
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:39   #5
greasyfingers

I thought there must be something wrong with it. I guess that it's not so much displaying things in random order, but is missing some out as I rotate the ring.

Which prompts the question, what is the 'right' order?

And is it easy to dismantle the stalk so that I can try cleaning the contacts?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:49   #6
fluff110
Just a member...

Hi Stew,

Yes that sounds right, or it might be skipping entries as well. The usual order is off, average speed, instant consumption, average consumption, miles to empty (I think).

Disconnecting the stalk isn't difficult - from memory there's 2/3 Torx screws that hold the plastic surround together. Take them out then open the surround slightly and the stalk is attached with another 2 Torx screws to the clockspring, remove them and it unplugs and pulls out.

As for cleaning the switches inside the stalk I don't know but the two screws on the back of it hold on the rear panel - taking that off might give you enough access to clean the contacts - but I've not seen inside one yet.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 21:15   #7
greasyfingers

Thanks, Fluff, and others. I shall add that to my list of things to do when I get a round tuit.