Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Estate rear suspension

Views : 1445

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 09:48   #1
4plus4morgan

Default 240 Estate rear suspension

I hear a clunk from the rear suspension on my 1987 estate and from what I have read I believe it must be due for some new bushes? Can anyone tell me what bushes I should be replacing and where to get them from, is it best to go to Volvo or can they be bought from a pattern supplier?
4plus4morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:44   #2
ALLOA
Master Member

Its probably the control arms. They connect from the top of the axle to the body. I'm saying 'probably' as there are also bushes on the axle that are known to fail and also a bush at the front of the trailing arm. It should be fairly obvious if you check (see pics). If not get a garage to check. I ordered replacements from Simon at Brookhouse Volvo but it depends how comfortable you are to change them. Its not that difficult. You could probably order the complete control arm but this would be expensive. I would avoid second hand ones as these will all be over twenty years old!

Best of luck

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00362.JPG (153.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00737.JPG (120.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00739.JPG (133.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00741.JPG (116.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00742.JPG (134.9 KB, 10 views)
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:42   #3
4plus4morgan

Smile

Thanks Scott, I'll get my garage chap to have a look on the ramp
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:43   #4
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

I guarantee its your bushes that will be well past it.

As said above you have ones in your control arms, axle casing, panhard rod and the front of the trailing arm which are probably all due for replacement.

I would stick with genuine Volvo bushes OR go for good quality polyurethane bushes from the likes of Superflex. Poly ones are harder and stiffer but last longer.

Its a job you can do on your own but beware, its a ballache to do and took me about 12 hours to change all of mine on the rear. Or get a garage to do them quicker but pay for the costs.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 20:56   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Instructions here http://volvo200crazy.co.uk/viewtopic.php?id=19
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 16:27   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The 3rd thumbnail picture of the failed bush shows that the bush has been fitted in the wrong position, which is why it has failed.

Originally the rods had solid bushes - impossible to do yourself but they lasted for ever.
The later ones had voids in the rubber between the inner and outer sleeves, and it is important that the bushes are positioned so that there is solid rubber in the fore-aft line, to resist the thrust.

The sure indicator of reaction rod bush failure is a thumping noise when you apply torque to pull away, especially up hill.
Trailing arm bush failure is not so noticeable. In ordinary driving the car just sits on the bushes, sagging a bit if they are worn. You need to jack the car up and let the axle hang, and do some levering with a crow-bar.

I have sometimes confused wear of the front reaction rod bush (the big one in a bolt-on carrier) with rear bush wear - the rattling noise seems to travel through the chassis.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 21:51   #7
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Alternatively...

Yes, replaced the bushes many times. Invested in a spare pair of used arms that I've put new bushes in. Job is then just a quick swap-over and makes sense if you can get cheap arms.
I have the good fortune to know a chap with a 20 ton SnapOn hydraulic press which makes bush removal and fitting a 15minute job for all 4.
Another source of noise is movement at the point of the fixing bolts themselves, particularly at the end attached to the body. Seems these need to be VERY tightly done up or you get a loud click every so often.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 18:36   #8
4plus4morgan

I've ordered some bushes from Volvo and getting them all changed next week, should see me and the car out! Thank you everyone for your advice
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 20:53   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Good choice going for genuine ones. They are far better quality than the cheapo aftermarket ones.

I repalced them all on my old 240 with genuine ones and the difference was huge over the old soggy ones. My current car Im doing in polybushes purely because Im running more power.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote