Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

12v switched power supply

Views : 2254

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 11:48   #1
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

Default 12v switched power supply

in the fusebox which is the one to connect to? im going to attempt fitting an ambient temp gauge. or is there an easier way?also could i just wire the bulb direct from the clock?

cheers
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 13:36   #2
Angie
Premier Member

Have sent PM as requested, and link to this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160488 which I started when I fitted a similar gauge. It's a very simple job - it had to be, I managed it unaided! I didn't go right back to the fuses, just connected from the radio wiring.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 13:49   #3
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

thanks, i see what you mean about haynes diagrams ;( im not very good at electrics so dont know which wires which on the radio theres quite a few of them in the plug!!
i think looking at the therad your gauge is the same as im fitting? cant see a red light though? where is that and whats it for?

thanks

i think what i need is an idiots guide!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (280.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg sensor wires.jpg (45.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (378.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by 240; Mar 12th, 2013 at 13:58.
240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 16:26   #4
Angie
Premier Member

The central disc has a little slot in it. I think the red light is on all of the time, and as the needle gets to 4 deg. it shines through the slot. Apparently below that temperature there is danger of ice on the road. When you turn the key the needle swings clockwise and the light shows briefly - unless temperature is low when the needle stops and the light shows continuously.

I don't know how to identify the correct radio wire, I just remember that it seemd to be obviously the live feed. You need expert advice to be certain, maybe I was just lucky!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 22:56   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Take a feed from the output side of the Heated Rear Window or direction indicators fuse - looking at the fuse box from the passenger side that's the right-hand side of the fuse.
You need to take the feed from an ignition-live circuit so the gauge only reads with the engine running, or at least the idiot lights "armed".
I haven't got the manual to hand so can't tell you which fuse, but it should be a 16-amp one. The wipers, horn, blower fan and radio ones are all accessory-live, while many of the others are permanently live and the gauge's drain will eventually flatten the battery if the car is left standing.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote