Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240's that werent fitted with radios

Views : 1238

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2013, 22:49   #11
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOA View Post
I don't think the 'upper' radio worked with out the amp. It was just the design of the radio so the amp was tucked away behind the dash. I enjoy music but don't rate the period Volvo radios. I always fit aftermarket options. That is of course just my opinion. For some people originality is important. I do have a 'lower position' radio in the garage that I could have upgraded. In the meantime I'll enjoy my JVC with DAB and ipod connectivity!

Regards

Scott
I'm not so sure - both my second carburettored estate and SFSS came with an aftermarket unit mounted in the upper location but no amp though, the first had the auxiliary gauge pack fitted and radio in the lower position; I suspect that the amp came in with the later 240s as my (not lamented) 240SE had the amp fitted at the bottom of the console.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:19   #12
Velorum
VOC Member

I bought a small Philips CD/Radio player from ebay that sits on the passenger seat and works really well. Radio reception is remarkably good with the aerial extended and touching the door pillar - just needs a bit of retuning every now and then - which is why I bought one with great big knobs on the top as opposed to push buttons. Not bad for £13 - brand new!

The only problem is that I have to run it from batteries (6 x C size) and the only external power input is for a mains lead. I would guess that there must be a way of wiring in a cigarette lighter lead - perhaps to the wires that lead from the battery compartment? Anyone have any expertise in this area?

Cheers
Ian
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 21:08   #13
Velorum
VOC Member

Actually, looking on ebay I see that you can buy low power inverters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket and that you can then plug an AC 3 pin plug into. They are around 80w which I would have thought would be enough for my little CD player? Hard to say for certain as the eletrickery thing has me baffled sometimes.........
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 22:53   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

It appears that your radio/cd is nominally 9v so you'd have to address that too.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 09:14   #15
Velorum
VOC Member

Im sure that the plug in inverter will work

This one will handle up to 150w which has got to be more than enough for a compact portable CD/radio surely?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1509254996...84.m1423.l2649

Last edited by Velorum; Mar 17th, 2013 at 10:29. Reason: Ebay link
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:46   #16
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

A plug-in inverter will drive your radio/cd player: when you plug the radio in the device's internal circuitry will bypass the batteries.

Last edited by loki_the_glt; Mar 17th, 2013 at 12:46. Reason: Superfluous characters in message. I really must learn to type.
loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote