Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 handbrake cable

Views : 497

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2013, 17:42   #1
Shortstuff

Default 850 handbrake cable

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram or pix so I can see what I need to do to change my handbrake cable?

I'm gunna take the old 1 off tomorrow so I'm not faffing with it on Monday since I'm gunna be tight for time.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 21:39   #2
klausc
Old fart

I am sure that Google will find you a diagram. Just to be forwarned, it is time consuming. There are 2 cables, know which one you want to replace before doing this.

Remove the center console. Slacken the cable at the console and remove the circlip holding the cables on - don't loose the circlip! Unhook the cable from the lifting mechanism.

Lift the rear seat bottom up and out. Remove the plastic that holds the seat cushion in place and also covers some of the carpet. Remove the plastic at the bottom of the rear door. Slide the seat as far forward as it will go.

Reach under the carpet until you find a black plastic hold down. Pry the plastic up and off the screw, save the plastic to use with the new cable.

Jack up the rear wheel and remove it. Remove the rotor. Drill out the rivet holding the cable to the suspension arm. Remove the Torx screw holding the cable to the body of the car. Pull the cable from the caliper, the is just an O ring holding it in place.

Pull the entire cable from the inside of the car.

You will want to put the cable sheathing back in the car body first before hooking the cable to the caliper body.

Average time needed 2-4 hours, depending on rust.

The 850 Haynes manual has some of this.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 14:22   #3
Shortstuff

Sweet. Only thing I'm confussed on is putting the cable back in the brake. How do you know its latched on? Or do you need to take the disc off
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 17:10   #4
Shortstuff

Ok I've got the cable out from inside the car but can't get the last bit out of the brake itself. I've undone the plastic clip that screws off and pulled the shief back to expose the cable itself but can't get that out from the brake.

What am I doing wrong here?
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 18:55   #5
Vard66
Rover Turbo Nutter

I did post a guide after doing mine not too long ago; let me see if I can find it.

*Edit*

Here we go.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=166900

I didn't get round to finishing it off, but I hope that's still of some use.

1996 Volvo 855 R

Last edited by Vard66; Apr 21st, 2013 at 19:00.
Vard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vard66 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 19:33   #6
Shortstuff

Cheers mate

I've got the old 1 off now so just awaiting the new cable which I'm picking up tomorrow.

What had happened was the cable got wedged really hard in its holder so I removed the whole brake system to get better access.

I'll be putting the new 1 on and getting her MOT'd and back on the road tomorrow after not having an MOT for over a month. It's been a long wait getting her sorted but all mine and Chris' hard work will have it sorted in time for me returning to work after a 3 week holiday of not being able to leave the house