Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 Central Locking Door Switch

Views : 1560

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 12:58   #11
savanna

Thanks scutyde. Where can I buy micro switches? And what is the deadlock function? I have a 1999 S70.
savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 13:01   #12
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Hold your horses!

Steady on there! Before you go splashing the cash on all sorts of new bits let's just have a re-think.

The fob will lock the doors from the outside, so that's normal. the fob will lock the doors from the inside when the key isn't in the ignition, so that's normal too.

The two front door lock buttons (in the window switch panel) won't lock the doors when pressed. Presumably the doors lock and then immediately unlock?

If so then this is because the central locking control unit thinks that a door is open. It thinks this because one of the micro-switches in one of the door locks is jammed. You've already mentioned a previous problem with the front passenger door.

Changing central locking motors won't help because they are clearly working OK. If they weren't then you would not be able to use the fob to lock the doors.

The problem is almost certainly that jammed micro-switch, as has been identified probably in the front passenger door lock. Changing the micro-switch is easier said than done. You need to remove the lock from the car and then the micro-switch from the lock - it's soldered in. The jammed micro-switch probably only needs to be cleaned up and lubricated, then it should be OK. If not, then rather than mess about with micro-switches, a replacement door lock (complete with micro-switches) can be sourced from a breakers yard. The locks are the same back and front doors. When on the rear door the child lock lever is accessible, when on a front door the lever is left in the 'open' position and isn't accessible because it's hidden behind the metal work of the door.

I need to check when I get home tonight, but I think that I do have a spare passenger side door lock which you can have for free if you can PM your address. I'll clean it up and make sure that it is working OK. You'll then need to find someone to fit it for you. It's fiddly but not that difficult!

An auto-electrician should be able to do the swap in an hour or so.

If you start getting components swapped over speculatively then you could end up with a very big (and unnecessary) bill for what is probably a simple fault.

Cheers

Jack

PS. Your car will have 'deadlocks'. This means that you can lock the door with the key usually by turning it the 'wrong' way. Locked in this way the doors cannot be unlocked from inside the car, only with the key. The idea is to stop a thief simply hooking up one of the little pips on the top of the door sill to break into the car. Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Apr 24th, 2013 at 13:05.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 13:49   #13
scutyde
Retrofit master

These ones I used to repair the locking system on a V70 99 from a friend
http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/700265/

When you have deadlocks the car will make a noise 30sec after you lock the car. This happens when the deadlock engages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-13 20.05.14.jpg (215.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by scutyde; Apr 24th, 2013 at 13:53.
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scutyde For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 23:42   #14
savanna

Thank you, Capt Jack, for your very helpful reply - it is much appreciated. I have had only Volvos mainly because of the help I have received from members of this forum. Yes, the doors lock and immediately unlock when I use the two front door buttons. I didn't know about deadlocks until now.

Please let me know by pm if you do have a spare passenger side door lock. It is kind of you to offer it to me for free.

Many thanks,
savanna
savanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
central locking, electrics, s70