Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trouble selecting/changing gears

Views : 602

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2013, 18:41   #1
tractorman5720

Default Trouble selecting/changing gears

Ahoy fellow Volvo owners. I've searched through numerous posts looking for anyone with similar issues to no avail. Here is my problem:

1998 S70 2.5 20V Manual. Tuesday it drove fine, gears changed smoothly and easily. Wednesday, got in started up and had to pretty much force it into Reverse to get out of parking spot. Selecting first from standstill is similar at times yet easy at others. Changing through gears, up and down, on move can vary between easy and bloody stiff.

Changed Gearbox oil today, old stuff looked grim and Haynes manual suggested this as a first port of call in cases of difficult gearchange, I hoped this would solve it, took it for a spin and the gear change is slightly better but nowhere near what it was.

I'm quite certain its not the clutch as there is no judder on moving off and I am managing to pull away from low speeds in the upper gears without any slipping or racing of revs.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there any room for adjustment on the gear selector cables (Haynes Manual doesn't really tell much on this other than removal/refitting), as sometimes it feels like you are trying to put the stick in the 'wrong slot' (If that makes sense).

I do tow quite a bit with the car and that is one of the main reasons we bought it (Horse mad missus). If it turns out to be a major issue, I'm not sure it will be economically viable.

Sorry to anyone who finds this hard to read but I don't tend to think before I type.

Thanks for suffering the babbling and in advance for any help you may have.
Volvos past and present 1980 345DL in yellow - Gone 1985 340DL in burgundy - Gone 1994 850 estate 2.5 20v in dark green - Gone 1989 740auto estate in red - Gone 1998 S70 2.5 20v SE in silver - Still with me (just!)
tractorman5720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 19:17   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Clutch.

Dragging, not slipping, which is why you've had no problems when underway. I'd be checking/bleeding the hydraulics - make sure you check it's not losing fluid, as this is shared with the main braking system.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 22:14   #3
tractorman5720

So its a release issue not a friction problem.

I'll check it over tomorrow but I'm pretty sure the reservoir was full when I had the bonnet up earlier.

If it is an issue with the slave cylinder it better be an external one, don't want to have to fork out for the gearbox coming out.

Thanks for the suggestion, lets hope it's an easy fix.
Volvos past and present 1980 345DL in yellow - Gone 1985 340DL in burgundy - Gone 1994 850 estate 2.5 20v in dark green - Gone 1989 740auto estate in red - Gone 1998 S70 2.5 20v SE in silver - Still with me (just!)
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 10:34   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorman5720 View Post
So its a release issue not a friction problem.
Exactly. I hope I'm right and also as you say it's an external problem (probably!) - do let us know what you find?

All the best.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 19:13   #5
tractorman5720

Turns out it was neither the friction nor the hydraulic parts of the clutch. I had my local Halfords Autocentre check it over today and it would appear to be the gear linkage. The manager (who in my opinion is the only one worth dealing with) test drove it, blew out the linkage to remove any detritus then liberally applied lubrication to the linkage. Just back from a drive now and its lots better. I wouldn't say perfect, but its a lot easier to drive. I don't know how hard a job changing this linkage is, but if the parts are cheap enough I will look at replacing it.