Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

coming back to volvo...c70

Views : 921

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 13:10   #1
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Default coming back to volvo...c70

hi, im viewing a c70 convertible tomorrow. same lady owner for 5 years, summer use only, garaged for winter, 67k miles, 02 plate. what should i be looking for. i am specifically looking for a convertible for my mrs and i to use at weekends and i have always loved the look of the c70. the car has had belt done recently and the owner is going to out a years mot and 6 months tax on the car if we can agree a deal!! its a 2 litre lpt model, which doesnt bother me as i always feel four seat convertibles are more of a cruiser than a sports car. iv owned loads of volvos and am hoping this will be me back in the fold. what should i check out model specific? gbn
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 18:14   #2
kwk

The engine and manual gearbox are normally bulletproof with regular maintenance and the timing belt has been done on time. Make sure you check the receipt for that. Make sure that the roof works correctly and that all the tools are present.
I don't know what you intend to pay, but I sold mine about six weeks ago to a garage for £2000 and it is now for sale there at £3450. I needed a quick sale to buy a S60.
kwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 19:37   #3
MikeS100
Premier Member

Make sure the roof is nice and smooth and doesn't stick anywhere. Do it a few times if you can, I only checked mine once on the test drive and then the day after I picked it up it started having problems! And the windows should all drop a little bit while the roof is operating and then go up again once it's finished, mine doesn't do this either but I didn't realise it was suppose to before I bought it! Plus when the roof is finished moving you should hear a confirmation chime. No chime could mean an error stopping the cycle from finishing properly or someone has removed the relay which controls the chime to stop it beeping as if it detects a fault within the roof mechanism the chime will sound continuously to highlight it.

Also make sure the windows are nice and smooth with no clunking or grating noises. It's common for the regulator to go in the window, you can buy a repair kit and do it yourself but it's a lot of hard work and if you take it to Volvo they will just replace the whole mechanism at about £1000 a side!

Ideally the Electronic Throttle Module will have been updated with the new one as the early ones can have issues. If you look down into the engine just behind the oil dip stick you will see the module with a sticker on it, a white sticker means it is the original, a yellow sticker means it has been replaced and is the updated unit. Personally this wasn't a deal breaker for me because my thoughts are if it hasn't failed in the last 10 years or so then hopefully it will keep going for a bit longer!

There can be issues with the abs pump so watch for warning lights on the dash flashing on and off, but it's not a big deal to replace the abs pump and abs ecu as a whole unit if it is faulty. I would use that to get the price down rather than walk away if you like the rest of the car.

It can be notchy with the steering on full lock but this is usually just the steering stops needing to be greased so nothing too much to worry about there.

This is pretty much the main things I checked. There are some good guides on here on common issues and living with the C70, have a quick go with the forum search and it should bring up a few posts of interest.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 14:27   #4
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Bought it....love it....only problem seems to be rattling brake pads from front right wheel....lovely big cruises and Mrs, who it was bought for, loves it...
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 15:25   #5
kwk

Are you sure it's the brake pads rattling. When I bought mine, one of the drop links was rattling and driving me mad. I changed both, a quick and cheap fix. These are a common failure.
kwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 17:02   #6
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Noise goes away with brake on so think pads...I bought it cheaper with short mot as owner couldn't get it booked in till next week at garage she uses so am gonna mot it next week. Drives really well though...big comfy cruises...feels almost jaguar/American like but then I am used to smart car and panda 100hp neither of which have particularly supple rides....
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 19:36   #7
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Wow what a great car...self and mrs love it....covered about 300miles in it so far...so stylish and elegant....and looks so expensive....