Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My poor car.

Views : 721

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2013, 21:26   #1
swampies

Unhappy My poor car.

I think that I might need to replace the pcv on my 850 T-5.
She does not get used very often, she's done about 3k miles in the last 7yrs that I have had her. But when she is used she does about a 400 mile round trip.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed oil had accumulated on the passenger side of the head and it looked like it was running under the spark plug cover. I cleaned her off and she was used for her trip down to Wales and back, I noticed on the way home that the brakes were juddering a lot and as she had already received 2 advisory notices on the mot for worn and badly pitted discs I decided I would get on and replace the discs.
However when I started to do the discs I noticed the oil was back again in the same place and also it looks like some had accumulated under where the dip stick goes into the engine.
Would it be considered too big of a job for a complete novice to do? I know she is in need of some work doing on her and would like to do as much of it myself as possible, mainly due to money issues.

Thanks
swampies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 22:13   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

You might find that oil under the spark plug cover is nothing more than a leaky rubber seal on the filler cap - quite a common fault, and a super-cheap and super-easy fix.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 23:50   #3
t+m

mine also needed a new seal under the filler cap and that sorted the leak on top.I did the pcv a couple of weeks ago and its a simple nuts and bolts job,i left the fuel rail/injectors on the manifold and disconnected the fuel pipes instead but that meant a new short piece of hose for the pressure regulator/return as i had to cut it to get it to release from the pipe.
I reused the gasket because the wholesalers supplied one for a 2ltr and it didn't have the correct cut outs for the injector spray(it would have fitted but blocked the spray pattern) and its an opportunity to replace the small vacuum pipe behind the manifold which was leaking and upsetting the long term fuel trim.As it happens it was all clear anyway but still worth doing for the peace of mind.Dont drop a manifold bolt like i did,it took me 4 hrs to find it,sitting under the fan in the cowling.
t+m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 18:41   #4
swampies

Thanks for the replies,

I started to change the discs on the car and noticed some damage and I'm not sure if its a major problem or not.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:03   #5
swampies

Looks like I'll have to replace the wishbone on the drivers side then as I've just been told that it'll be a fail on the MOT if I don't.
Just not sure if I should do both sides or just the drivers side.

It's a good job that I absolutely adore this car as it looks like I'll be spending the next couple of months doing repairs on her when money's available. The list is getting bigger.

Cam belt needs doing as its starting to split.
Altinator might need doing as I was told that the phase has gone on it.
Possible pcv trap needs replacing.
Engine mounts are starting to crack.
Centre console is split.
AC doesn't work
Rear spoiler needs a new bracket to hold her in place if I can actually find one.

Still she's had nothing done to her in the last 7 years and she is long overdue for some pampering.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:30   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Yeah, I wouldn't drive the car like that!
Replacing these wishbones isn't too hard - I've done it several times, I can point you to the write up I did if it's any use to you. You MUST set up the tracking again afterwards, as it WILL be out - probably a long way out.

I found that the cheaper after-market wishbones only lasted a few thousand miles, so it's worth spending a little more. I can recommend the "heavy duty" items from PFV as being a very good balance between cost and quality.

Cheers
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:31   #7
Paffel
VOC Member

A crack in the wishbone is NOT worth ignoring, best to be safe if you're in any doubt.
Glad to hear that you're considering replacing it!

You can do one side by itself, but inspect the other one and assess its condition.

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD

Last edited by Paffel; May 4th, 2013 at 10:33.
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:05   #8
swampies

Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll replace both sides just to keep it even. I've seen some on eBay for about £60 each.
I don't want to go overboard with costs as she still needs other things doing to her. Plus she's hardly ever used she's only done about 3k miles in the last 7 years. She's mainly used to pop down to the caravan in Wales which is about a 400 mile round trip.

Luxobarge that write up that you did would be great if you can point me to it.

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2013, 14:15   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampies View Post
Luxobarge that write up that you did would be great if you can point me to it.

Thanks
Here it is, start at post #77:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=114983&page=8

As I mentioned, I bought "cheap" arms like the ones you are planning to buy, and they didn't last long, so check out where I had to do the job again at post #246 on page 25.

Whatever arms you buy, one important thing (which I failed to do on the first attempt) is to finally tighten the main bolts up with the arms UNDER LOAD, not with the suspension fully relaxed.

The above thread also contains write ups on a few of the other jobs you have to do, such as cam belt etc.

Cheers!