Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil consumption

Views : 967

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:00   #1
paddyred
Master Member

Default Oil consumption

Hi there!

So I have a V50 2.0D with 59000 on the clock. Its been pretty good on oil (not consumed any in around 2000 miles) but in the last 500 miles or so it appears the car has used 0.5L of oil? I'm using 0W-30 Carlube Triple R at the moment. I've pushed the car over the last 300 ish miles as I'm a steady driver usually and it needed a good clean out! Anyway I wondered if this was due to pushing it a bit, or something waiting in the shadows! I haven't got any strange noises or noticeable smoke!
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:08   #2
Welton
Premier Member

The 2.0D is a distant relative of the Peugeot HDi (essentially the same mechanically) I had a HDi for 3 years and the only time I ever saw it using a bit of oil was at high speeds. A fair amount gets past the turbo seals especially at high revs.

If you ever get to remove the hoses from the intercooler you'll be shocked at the oil stuck in there (which has carried over in the air stream from the turbo).

Personally I'd change the oil to a 5W/30, I've just done this to mine, the main dealers switched to 0W/30 a few years back under some sort of deal with the oil suppliers I believe but 5W/30 is equally approved and less likely to burn-off.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:20   #3
paddyred
Master Member

Yea it will also be thicker on start up and when cold too I suppose so less leakage! Over the last tank I've been letting it warm up then giving it a bit of a thrash to clean all the crap out so i imagine it was that! I'm back to my old way of driving lightly for fuel economy so I'l see how it goes!
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:29   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Mine never used a drop, 0w-30 at last change I actually found it a better oil for the 2.0D started far more quietly and easily.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:32   #5
paddyred
Master Member

hmm... strange. Maybe my turbo oil seals are on the way out. 59000 seems a bit early mind
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 12:55   #6
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post

Personally I'd change the oil to a 5W/30, I've just done this to mine, the main dealers switched to 0W/30 a few years back under some sort of deal with the oil suppliers I believe but 5W/30 is equally approved and less likely to burn-off.
actually i have to tell you that the 5w 30 it is more likely to burn as it is a lot less stable oil than the 0w30.

the 0w 30 it is more stable does perform better at high temperature and at a low temp produce it is more responsive
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 13:27   #7
paddyred
Master Member

I think its actually my reading of the dipstick. The little pip on the top of the stick collects oil and it then drips down over the max mark and I think it was making it appear like it was higher than it was. I have been pushing the car quite hard so I'd expect it to drop a little. It was about 6-8mm from the max mark and I filled the car up with only 4.5L last complete oil change. I'l give it a while of driving normally and see how it goes.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 15:38   #8
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

4.5 litres should be 4.8 from memory which might explain the difference maybe?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 13:16   #9
paddyred
Master Member

So today I realised two things.

1) I'm an idiot
2) the road outside my house is a steeper gradient than I thought.

I have always checked my oil outside my house but yesterday I checked it at work as I was early and had some time to spare. The car park at work is completely flat and the road outside my house is a very slight gradient (not that much at all). Well, I filled my oil up at work yesterday to about 3mm below the max mark, left it for the day and checked it again before i left and it was still 3mm below the max mark (confirmed it wasn't leaking out and pooling in a hidden engine bay recess) . I checked it this morning on the road outside my house and its now about 5-9mm over the maximum mark. Its pretty obvious what I've done already, so I did 35 miles and checked it at work and again it was 3mm below the max mark. Well I feel rather stupid! but i am surprised how much a small gradient effects the oil level in the 2.0D engine! the gradient is barely enough to roll the car down the hill with the handbrake off let alone effect the oil level by 8-12mm! I suppose having the dipstick right at the front and to the left of the engine is probably not great when its parked facing slightly downhill and on a slight left hand camber.

Oh well, I'm glad it was nothing serious and it was just me being an absolute fool!