Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

question about chipping?

Views : 5479

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 00:06   #51
Oli
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
In answer to your last post from yesterday evening, MTE claim an outcome of 275bhp and 430Nm torque for a '99 S60/V70N T5.
Hello Don,

By S60/V70N I take it you mean the new shape V70s. If yes, then they were first sold in 2000, not '99. Was the starting point 250BHP? What was the original torque (can't find the brochure to check just now)?

What does MTE offer for a old shape Model year 2000 V70R AWD (265BHP, which only came in auto - shame)?

What's the price and what kind of installation service is included for that please?

Thanks

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 07:47   #52
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Software for MY 2000 V70R AWD Auto.

Good morning Oli,

You can check www.mte.se for their claimed outputs.

However, the figures are 290bhp and 420nm. torque.

To install the MTE product in your car I have to remove the ECU and connect it, unopened, to the MTE kit that is attached to my laptop. I give the computer various information about the car which it then checks with the stored library of uprated software. If an exact match is found then I can proceed with the download of the revised software. That whole process takes just a few minutes.

Before and after that process we can test drive the car and make various checks with Volvo's Vadis diagnostics and other visual inspections to verify that there are no other changes to the car which would need to be removed for correct operation of MTE's software.

I can carry out this work during normal working hours or at any other reasonable time in the early evening or during the weekend.

On your other point, if I remember, the new shape V70 was on sale one year before the S60, they were not both available in the same model year.

Regards, Don.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 14:28   #53
Oli
VOC Member

Hello Don,

Thanks for the reply and comments on the service offered. Does the MTE software only load if the ECU is clear of any management codes (just like the BSR PPC)? I suppose if work needs doing first then you'd have to come back another day to load the software, after a trip to mechanic to get it fixed. How about the cost?

The point about the age of the cars was to make sure the figures you mentioned were for the new shape V70, as this was not available until 2000, but you'd mentioned '99. But I see the inclusion of S60 in the description implies that anyway.

ATB

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 15:16   #54
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
I give the computer various information about the car which it then checks with the stored library of uprated software. If an exact match is found then I can proceed with the download of the revised software. That whole process takes just a few minutes.
Hi Don,

can you just comfirm whether you mean "compatible match" or "exact match"?

thanks
Matt.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 18:31   #55
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
“But the concern with the autos isn’t really with bhp directly, it more to do with torque. This is why the auto tranny ecu\tcu sends a signal to the engine ecu before a shift to request a reduction in torque. However with the greater torque from the chipped cars the trans ecu will increase the shift speed which causes the harsher shift. ultimately, if the box can take the torque physically then the harder shifts are better for it as you have less clutch pack slippage and thus less heat and wear.”
“An easy way to make the auto cope with higher torque is to run better fluid and an external cooler.”

Good points Matt, which is why I requested no torque reductions and smooth delivery from my ECU mapping and since the other mods mentioned I can now abuse my engine and transmission accordingly, so watch it next time we meet at Avon Park lol

Forgetting BHP and Torque for a minute (if that’s possible), lets consider the original drivability off the line of a £40,000 1997/98 R it could be that during development that Volvo considered the 18T just a shade laggy at small throttle openings for an auto of that period and that future customers might not appreciate this and so fitted the 16T. You can of course increase stall speed to counter this but Volvo might have also concluded that this increased NVH levels to an unacceptable level.

Ford had a similar dilemma with an early Cosworth Turbo Granada, so they canned it and brought out the V6 Cosworth version 2 years later.
The 240 bhp 16T was fitted to the 3 speed auto box, with SWE buttons phase 1 auto,
then came my car the phase 2 with 250bhp 18T and 4 speed adaptive auto boxes,
so as you say there was issues that Volvo didn't like at the time on the early cars,
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 20:06   #56
Simon J
Premier Member

Was there ever a three speed auto box in the T5/Rs? My '97 T5 had a four speed auto box with the S (or hooligan!), W and E buttons. This box was followed by the four speed adaptive; and then the five speed adaptive which is what my '03 C70 T5 has.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 00:08   #57
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

That was a typo sorry, i should have added non adaptive to it as well,