Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BKV - 'Modified Class' Judging

Views : 2941

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 21:16   #1
Chris Wickers
Director

Default BKV - 'Modified Class' Judging

Following on from an earlier thread one of the suggestions is for all cars to be entered in their 'own class' whether modified or not. (i.e. all 300 series together)

An award would then be given as usual to the 'Best kept Volvo' in the class.

Any modified car would be then be judged again purely against other modified cars, and an award given for the winner.

This would mean that a modified car could actually win two classes!

However I need some help please!

What should be the criteria for judging modified cars?

All comments gratefully received.

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 21:47   #2
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

This is going to be a tough one!

Do we reward the most extreme modifications, the most unique, 'might have been', the most concourse (although I think that's been ruled out) or the most 'in keeping with the spirit of the car'?

Take this years BKV 'Non-Standard' entrants for example (and apologies to any I have forgotten....);

Two cars were 740 Turbos which had been lowered and had uprated engines. They are both 'everyday' cars and whilst they looked great they are not of a sufficiently high standard to be concourse. the same goes for the 945 and the number of 850's and other sundry 5 pot FWD devices that had also been modded in a similar fashion.
These and the two 740's I would class as cars that have been modded to improve them for the owners enjoyment.

There was a 340GLT (owners description) which had some serious modifications to both the styling and the brakes/suspension with Subaru Imprezza front brakes and a Volvo 400 rear disc brake conversion from te standard drums. This and my 760GLT fall into the categories of both unique and 'might have been'.

The was a 360 that had had much of Volvos early '80's 'R Sport' kit fitted to it (twin carbs, higher lift cam etc), and whilst it was not a replica of the 343 R Sport it was the most in keeping with the car as it was an original, but rare, factory option.

Lastly there was the 400 that has some engine and suspension mods, but had also received much attention to the bodywork. I believe this is not a 'everyday' car, but more a weekend car and this one falls into the category of concourse as it is truly immaculate.

All cars there were worthy of a prize of some sort, but I feel the concourse side should be ignored as there rest of the BKV is geared up to that sort of thing. The 740's, 945 and pot stuff, whilst great cars and a credit to their owners are all of the same way of thinking so to my mind the prize should have gone to either the 360, the 340GLT or the 760GLT for either being unique or sympathetic to what could have been. I think the 340GLT just edged ahead due to the amount of work involved, but it's a close run thing.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 00:28   #3
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Pedro and I have argued.....errr, I mean talked at great lengths about this and we've come to an agreement or conclusion as to what we think would be the best way to deal with this conundrum.

OK, we thought the best thing to do would be to have the Best Modified award only available to those entered into the modified section (to keep things tidy).

The best judges would be all other entrants into the modified section only (by anonymous vote) as they would be more knowledegable and sympathetic to changes carried out. A print-out or list of modifications could be attached to the screen for information and owners on hand to talk/show 'unseen' alterations. Peoples ideas of who should win the Most/Best Modified would of course differ greatly which is why a group vote seems the fairest.

Criteria for nomination for Best Modded would be down to individual choice and discretion. For instance, had this award been in place this year I would've voted for Rupert V6 Man as he'd just converted his V6 Volvo from automatic to a manual and worked extremely hard to get the car street-legal and working to be able to drive to the BKV.

Other cars (such as the black modified Amazon) which are in their 'standard' class would not be eligible to enter. As Pedro points out, should they wish to be judged as a modified car they would've entered that particular section.

So there would be, in effect, two awards to be strived for in the one section. These would be Best Kept Modified and Best Modified (or maybe Most Modified so that they don't get confused?) This way, the Best Kept award stays the same as it is (best kept) whilst there would an introduction of a new award to entice more members.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 00:54   #4
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Man View Post
This is going to be a tough one!

Do we reward the most extreme modifications, the most unique, 'might have been', the most concourse (although I think that's been ruled out) or the most 'in keeping with the spirit of the car'?

Take this years BKV 'Non-Standard' entrants for example (and apologies to any I have forgotten....);

Two cars were 740 Turbos which had been lowered and had uprated engines. They are both 'everyday' cars and whilst they looked great they are not of a sufficiently high standard to be concourse. the same goes for the 945 and the number of 850's and other sundry 5 pot FWD devices that had also been modded in a similar fashion.
These and the two 740's I would class as cars that have been modded to improve them for the owners enjoyment.

There was a 340GLT (owners description) which had some serious modifications to both the styling and the brakes/suspension with Subaru Imprezza front brakes and a Volvo 400 rear disc brake conversion from te standard drums. This and my 760GLT fall into the categories of both unique and 'might have been'.

The was a 360 that had had much of Volvos early '80's 'R Sport' kit fitted to it (twin carbs, higher lift cam etc), and whilst it was not a replica of the 343 R Sport it was the most in keeping with the car as it was an original, but rare, factory option.

Lastly there was the 400 that has some engine and suspension mods, but had also received much attention to the bodywork. I believe this is not a 'everyday' car, but more a weekend car and this one falls into the category of concourse as it is truly immaculate.

All cars there were worthy of a prize of some sort, but I feel the concourse side should be ignored as there rest of the BKV is geared up to that sort of thing. The 740's, 945 and pot stuff, whilst great cars and a credit to their owners are all of the same way of thinking so to my mind the prize should have gone to either the 360, the 340GLT or the 760GLT for either being unique or sympathetic to what could have been. I think the 340GLT just edged ahead due to the amount of work involved, but it's a close run thing.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Rupert (sorry must be a FWD thing )

Should 'could have been' come into the equation at all? I could have been extremely beautiful and rich but I'm not so does that mean anything?

If we had two awards, one for BKMV and one BM, then everyone - whether they have an immaculate everyday car with few modifications or a beastie with everything altered - would be acknowledged. What say you?

With the judges of the BM being ourselves it would be a good opportunity to learn what we've all actually done to/with our cars. As you know, a lot of the more serious changes are unseen/unnoticeable until you've had a chat with the owner to find out exactly what's been altered.

So now let's talk steer
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 01:31   #5
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

To be Brutally Honest the modified class is a bit of a waste of time.

I only enter in it, because theres no way on earth my car can compete with the other cars in its own series class. I used to enter in the working class because i hoped my cars had a better chance of winning. I don't now as i don't do enough miles to be considered a working car.

At the end of the day everybody want's to win, so will moan.

The cars that have won the modified class for the last couple of years could have been entered in there own class and be the outwright winners with ease.

It all boils down to what is termed as modified.

The Modified class was won by a yellow 400 series, and all credits to the owner its a fine example, but when looking at it, to me its just a 400 series turbo in yellow. Nothing really special but its mint, but then its been stripped painted and rebuilt. I've done a few cars for people from bare shells and to get them to concours when building from scratch is too damm easy, it just snowballs into a major cleaning fetish.

The fact that it was an early car, and has then been rebuilt into a late car, gives it some serious points. I remember a few years ago, seeing pictures of the build status and that impressed me, and it so rightly won the modifed class.

The car that came 2nd was an 850, As far as i can see, it had been chipped, probably had a panel filter, maybe some big brakes and a zorst and that was it. But the owner looks after it, and polishes it well and makes it shine hence why it placed so well.

So Whoopde doo, that's moddifeed!!!!

That's about as modified as buying your oil from Halfords and your brake pads from the little motorfactor in the high street, and your exhaust from KWIKFIT.

In fact cars in the standard classes loose points for being modified from original status, my car lost points once because i chose to buy a far superior bosch battery for less money than VOLVO dealers wanted for a standard one.

So the Modified Class should represent cars that have had some serious effort involved into modify them.

For example next year i could get hold of a 3 yr old volvo (excempt from the Pre MOT Class) that has done F**k all miles and is completely mint and concours, and just put a set of utterly hideous TSW Alloys on it, or even some LED flashing Valve Caps on it and win Modified class with no problems, all because i've altered from the Volvo standard Class.

If i had to judge the modified class this year, i think i would have picked the 340GLT as the winner, as the owner has worked hard to modify the car, figuring out how to do it as no off the shelf mod's were involved.

The 400 series would have come 2nd as major work has been done to go from a Mk1 to a Mk2 style, its probably tidyer and in better condition than the 340 but its the same car as its been for several years and nothing much has happened to it.

Perhaps the burgandy 850 would have placed highly as the owner had sourced a bumper from a TWR race car and fitted it.

I like to see inovation in modified cars, if its just bolt ons, then the cars should be judged in there own classes and the mod's not held against it.

If we were doing a Concours Judging, Which we're not, we're not focusing on original equipment, were just judging on who looks after there car the most, hence the BEST KEPT VOLVO.

Concours goes into detail to ensure that the car is as it left the factory or better. In other competions cars that have been worked over better than factory often loose points as there not original.

Modified in BKV terms means deviated from Factory specs, so when i put my anal head on and i see a 240 estate wearing yoko tyres, i should mark it down in the 200 class, because surely it left the factory on Pirelli P6000's.

Now i've had a few pint's before i typed this, and i've rambled on and i've still not come to good conclusion on what the modified class should judge on.

And now when i've read this post back and some of the earlier posts, i think if you enter your car in class, you should then judge all the other cars yourself and give them a score.

This is how i've seen judjing in other shows done, and is often fairer, when you see a trailer queen car owned by a major tuner in the community turn up, against the guy with a mint example thats spent the last 2 hours removing every dead fly from the front of the car thats appeared on his drive over. Its refreshing to see that guy win hands down against a car thats had a fortune heaped on it.

Damm i'm rambling again.

good night.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:20   #6
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Hi Chesh, hope you don't have a hangover

What is becoming clearly apparent here is that we do not know what modifications have been undertaken on the cars in this section.

Quote:
With the judges of the BM being ourselves it would be a good opportunity to learn what we've all actually done to/with our cars. As you know, a lot of the more serious changes are unseen/unnoticeable until you've had a chat with the owner to find out exactly what's been altered.

I think it would be a good idea for all to print off a list of the alterations and stick it on the screen for all to see, understand and appreciate.

I agree with you about the 850 that was placed second. But the car is modified, however slight this is perceived to be, and therefore is quite justified to be there as it satisfied the rules of the VOC. There is a criteria to enter this section and there is a boundary line which is, presumably, any modification from factory specification. One modification could qualify you to enter the class and win the Best Kept award if it's a minter. This is within the rules.

If we're allowed this new award of Most Modded as well as Best Kept that would, I believe, give recognition to the work and effort involved in making the car unique. Thus everyone will in theory be happy, recognised and acknowledged whether it's for a heavily or lightly modified car, mint or not.

From your and Rupert's comments it seems that you're simply judging modifications on styling and looks. Surely this is dismissive of all other major works which aren't seen aesthetically but a tremendous amount of time and effort has gone in?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:35   #7
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post

Perhaps the burgandy 850 would have placed highly as the owner had sourced a bumper from a TWR race car and fitted it.
Here's what you appeared to have missed.

Genuine 850 BTCC TWR Front Splitter Off 1996 Press/Test Car
Or T-5R Front Bumper (Depending on Road Conditions)
Chrome Mesh Put In T-5R Bumper Lower Air Vents
Private Registration Plate (Reading “BIG T5R”or “BIG ToSseR”)
Headlamp Wipers Removed & Panels Replaced With Lower Spec Items
Front Fog Lights Removed
Nordic Mesh Sports Grill (Black With Chrome Surround)
RGM Moulding Headlight Eyebrows
Alternating Headlights (Same Style As Police, For Show Use Only)
Genuine Police Siren (Show Use Only)
Professionally Tinted Windows (All Except Windscreen)
8 x 18inch Fox R4 Alloy Wheels, Fitted With 215/35/18 Tyres
210/625/16 Yokohama A006 On Perfo's For 1/4Mile Use Only
USA Spec Wing Badges (Repeator Lights Removed)
Passenger Side Door Lock Removed (Custom Made Using Rear Handle)
S70 Fuel Filler Door (Without Finger Recess) & Locking Solenoid Removed
Rear Bumper Modified To Accept Extra Exhaust Pipe
1995 Spec Rear Lights & Tailgate Panel
Custom TWR Pinstripe Decal
850R Rear Spoiler
Volvo Badge Removed From Tailgate & Re-Badged As A T-5R
EBC Drilled, Grooved & Vented Front Brake Discs With Greenstuff Pads
Battery Removed From Under The Bonnet & Dry Cell Installed In Boot
100Watt Weatherproof PA Speaker For Siren / Horn
2-Stage Switchable Boost (2.4psi Low, 20.8psi High)
Powerflow Stainless Steel Exhaust with Twin Exit (One Each Side)
Powerflow Stainless Steel De-Cat Pipe
Blue Silicone Vac Hoses
Under Bonnet Sound Insulation Removed
Weather Seal Removed From Scuttle Panel (To Vent Hot Air)
Reverse Flow Intercooler (Rare Option Fitted as Standard)
Relocated Airflow Meter (To Allow Straighter Airflow To Turbo)
MAF Screen Removed
Powerflex Top Engine Mount
Prototype Pipercross Viper Induction Kit
Horns Removed To Allow More Air to Intercooler (Horn Now Works Off Siren)
Bonnet Slam Panel Centre Support Removed (More Air To Intercooler)
Intercooler Water Spray
DBS Motorsport Manual Boost Controller (Set To 20psi)
Volvo Strut Brace
Lowered 20mm As Factory Option
Powerflex Front Wishbone Bushes
Dino Leather 3 Spoke Steering Wheel (With Momo Boss)
Sparco Twin Steering Wheel Buttons
Race X Digital Voltage Gauge
Race X Digital Turbo Pressure Gauge
Race X Aluminum Pedal Covers
Race X Colour Coded/Chrome Gear Knob
Alloy Cigarette Lighter
Alloy Gear Lever Surround
Alloy Push-Button Start
Custom Colour Coded Door Trims
Gear Level Shortened By 1.5inches
Colour Coded/Chrome Handbrake Cover
Metal Replacement Dash Switches
Digital Race Electronics 5 LED Sequential Shift Light
Pro Automatic Turbo Timer
G-Tech (Hard Wired In)
Omex Digital Launch Control
Armtech RPM Tell-Tale
Covert CCTV Camera (Radio Linked To DVR)
Boot & Tailgate Trim Removed
JVC KD-AVX1 CD/MP3/DVD/Monitor Head Unit
VIBE ST10 1inch Tweeters Mounted On Top Corners on Windscreen
VIBE SR50 5inch Coaxial Speakers In Front Doors
VIBE ST10 1inch Tweeters on Rear B Post in Rear
VIBE SR50 5inch Coaxial Speakers In Rear Doors
VIBE 15inch Subwoofers (x2) Mounted In Ported Box
VIBE VP3 4 Channel Amplifier (50 Watt RMS Each)
VIBE VP4 Digital Amplifier (750 Watt RMS Each)
VIBE Turbo Port Mounted In Rear Centre Armrest
2x Pyle 4inch Monitors (Mounted In Rear Headrests)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 09:21   #8
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor View Post
From your and Rupert's comments it seems that you're simply judging modifications on styling and looks. Surely this is dismissive of all other major works which aren't seen aesthetically but a tremendous amount of time and effort has gone in?
I think you might have misunderstood me Jules, looks and styling are important in the overall presentation but are by no means the only criterea. The three cars that I feel should have battled for 'Best Modified' if such a category had existed this year are those with non looks related mods. Adam's 340GLT does have lots of styling mods it's true, but the really impressive mods are to the brakes - all custom made and required some serious ingenuity to do as no 'off the shelf' parts exist. Equally my 760 required similar cunning as manual B280's never existed and to my knowledge I'm the only person in the world to have a manual 760 with the B280 in standard form. Foggy's 360, apart from its 15" alloys, has had no styling mods at all, most has been to the engine.

I hadn't realised that the 400 was originally a Mk1, in that case it is more deserving of its award as it has been extensively modified.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:10   #9
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Nope even with a reasonablyish clear head in the cold light of day i can still not make sense of how to judge cars in the modified class.

I certainly did not realise the amount of time and effort Pedro has put into his car with the impressive mod list that he's produced. That would certainly give him a lot of marks in my book.

But then again, i could quite easily give a person lots of marks for keeping it clean simple and subtle, with just perhaps a few mods that then make a tasty looking car.

I think your right Miss D the modified class should be judged normally on BKV standards by the judges of the day. This will cover the cars presentation.

And the owners within the Class then judge each others car for best modified, after all were the petrol heads that care about modifications and will appreciate the effort people have put in as we've done it ourselves.

What we need to assertain then is some caterogries to break it down so that they can be scored.

Or quite simply you could give mark each car a score of 20.

So basically each entrant gets a sheet where they right down each Reg Number of the cars entered, walk round it read its mod sheet and come to there own conclusion with it and score it on how much they like. Of course they can't judge there own cars.

Each person does this, the sheets are deposited in a box and then the marks counted, the highest number is of course the winner and the peoples choice.

I think this is the fairest way to judge it, would cater for the people that like the 500bhp rat look 240, or prefer the xc90 thats been pimped out rapper style with twenty chromies and TV Screens everywhere, or the subtle looking 300 series thats just clean and tidy and lowered with some tasty rims on it.

Ahh dammit it i've rambled again.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:45   #10
IC
S60R/V70R

Surely owners should be praised for the work that they have done themselves? If there are two highly modified cars, one where the owners has been working for months coming up with ideas and building the engine etc themselves and another car where the car has been highly modified by a garage and the owner has had no part in the hard work they should be judged in a different class. If there was a class for the best modified car which has been worked on by the owner as a project it would be a very worthwhile competition - the owner could keep a dossier of all the work that has been done as well as notes on the car's development. People should be praised for the hard work that they have done as well as the techniques that they have used to address issues that they have met whilst working on the car as well as the innovative ideas that they have had! Please excuse me if I have discussed anything that anybody has already mentioned!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Sep 9th, 2006 at 12:53.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote