Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Proud owner of 96 945T! ?? about B200FT.

Views : 810

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:09   #1
PhoenixM3

Default Proud owner of 96 945T! ?? about B200FT.

Well, this is my first Volvo and I'm interested to learn facts regarding the B200FT and which tune up parts I'll need. I've reviewed many of the FAQs and am still unclear regarding which parts will fit my car. The car has 155K on the clock, has A/C, but I suspect that it hasn't been maintained very well. I'm handy with tools, but I'm also certain that I'll need some special tools to conduct routine maintenace.
First, are tune up parts (plugs, wires, rotor etc..) the same as those on a B2300FT? The car has a redblock (do they all?), and the distributor is located at the firewall end of the motor. I can't recall which turbo that I have, but it seems to spool up fine. Secondly, I suspect that it'd be good to replace the timing belt as well as the other accessory belts, too. Can I just order parts for say a US spec 95 940T and hope they work? Any assistance from the regulars on this board would be greatly appreciated....

Ciao,

J. Lund
(another Yank stationed in Italy....)
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:15   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thumbs up B200ft

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The B200FT is identical to the B230FT in all regards except for the bore and spark plugs used. I think the 200FT uses BPR6s whereas the 230FT uses BPR7s - or vice versa! Yes, all 900 series 4 cylinder cars have the fabulously strong redblock engine, the 'L' version having oil squirters to cool the underside of the pistons too. All turbo engines have sodium filled exhaust valves to aid valve cooling.

Distributor cap, rotor arm, HT leads, air filter, oil filter - all the same.

The turbo is a Mitsubishi 13C. Spools at fairly low revs, but struggles at higher rpm. Regular oil changes and good quality oil (Mobil 1 or similar fully synthetic best, but Magnatec GTX good second choice) critical to keeping it in good order.

Timing belt size will depend upon the year of manufacture - there were 3 sizes IIRC, although again, as I'm at work I can't check the books to be sure. Accessory belts the same for all redblock engines.

Regarding special tools - the only things you'll regularly need is a set of decent torx sockets/drivers - and an 8mm (?) rachet spanner is very helpful for removing the distributor cap.

Precautions - Check all vacuum hoses for blockages and splits. Clean intake manifold and idle air controller. Change fuel injection relay for new one. Clean and (copper) grease slider pins on brake calipers as they tend to seize. Air con very prone to leakage and failure. Suspension bushes go soft and shock absorbers poor after 125k miles or so - self levelling shocks expensive, but can be converted to std shocks for 1/2 the cost of new self levelling units. Electric sunroof and window switches fail causing slow/failed operation - disassemble and use electrical contact cleaner to fix. Front brake discs warp but are cheap and easy to change. Handbrake pads last for ages but are a PITA to change. Only use good quality pads btw - ferodo is my favourite.

Hope this helps for starters. (Good choice of car btw !)

Last edited by RollingThunder; Sep 8th, 2006 at 12:19.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:52   #3
PhoenixM3

I have another question regarding tuneup parts. How do I know which electrical system that I have? The coil's sticker has been peeled away. I'll probably buy parts from an online source and don't want to order the wrong items....

Thanks,

Jeff
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 12:12   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default No worries.

The B200FT and B230FT/etc share the same fuel injection system (Bosch LH2.4 Jetronic) and ignition system (EZK116). Regarding the coil, I'm pretty sure that all 900s use the same coil - can't see any reason why it would differ to be honest. I'm at work at the moment, but will check the part number tonight if I remember If I don't write back give me a nudge.

All the best,
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote