Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 New bumper cost or repair

Views : 1655

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2013, 17:16   #1
kprida

Default S60 New bumper cost or repair

Anyone had their s60 bumper repaired or replaced? I had someone clip me on a roundabout and drive off. And now someone else has hit it on the other side denting the plastic and scuffing and chipping the paint.

Its bright red and the lights are on permanently. How do people keep hitting it?! I've had more near misses and hits in this car than any other since I started driving 19 years ago!
kprida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 21:07   #2
r-designbob
Premier Member

If it's not massive damage, then someone like "Chips away" will probably repair it.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 21:23   #3
kprida

Not massive damage. Just both sides need sorting now. Today's hit was enough to have the bumper hit the metal bar behind it and create a ripple in the plastic along with chips of paint removed and grooves in the plastic.

I've read mixed reviews of smart repairs so am thinking a proper body shop repair could be best. Just thought I'd ask here to get a feel for how bad its going to hurt my wallett.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 00:24   #4
r-designbob
Premier Member

well I have a small tear in my XC60 rear bumper (bumper?..don't make me laugh),
and Volvo wanted £600+ to replace.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:57   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I would take it to a bodyshop I trust you got the details of the vehicles involved?

Additionally, if it was hard enough to hit the metal re enforcing it then that could be damaged to, plastic is far more flexible than the metal from memory the s60/v60 bumpers are quite quick to remove should this need doing (having seen a Volvo tech do it in around 10 minutes - 15 minutes.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 18:20   #6
kprida

The first car that hit me kindly drove off. The second one I know where he lives, we left it as I would see what it cost. Having found out my insurance company put up my excess and I didn't notice it til now. So unless its 600 quid plus its not worth it taking in to account excess and inevitable price hike at renewal.

Bumper is slightly dented in two places so its whether they can get it out.

Do you know if bumpers come pre painted as some Hondas do?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 19:04   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

The issue you have though as I was alluding to this morning is that there could be more damage to the structure of the car behind the bumper from your own description:

Quote:
Today's hit was enough to have the bumper hit the metal bar behind it and create a ripple in the plastic along with chips of paint removed and grooves in the plastic.
If there is damage to the metal behind the bumper £600 is going to look cheap. Additionally this is none fault claim and whilst SOME insurers do but premiums up for them not ALL do, additionally to not disclose the fact that there has been an incident is being dishonest, take that as you wish fact is to be truthful you would have to disclose it anyway (oh just to put a thing to disclose it if the other vehicle involved ends up disclosing it to his insurer then they automatically ask for the other vehicles registration number, quite why some people think insurers don't talk to one another is beyond me or have certain databases for claims to do so - which if you select to not disclose it then becomes an issue for any future claim you may make potentially with it being refused).

I doubt with a "ripple" it will "come out" and bumpers are just easier to replace as a whole owing to the nature of them.

My main concern for yourself as a somewhat regular on here is more the fact whether there is more damage behind the bumper owing to the additional flexibility plastic has over metal and the descriptions provided by yourself.

At this stage personally I think pictures might aid people.

Last edited by Ninja59; Aug 5th, 2013 at 19:12.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 21:32   #8
kprida

The other car wasn't damaged. He had a metal bumper which didn't have a mark on it. In the past I had a moped ride in to the back of me and cause no damage, my premium went up dispite it being zero cost.

Looking under the car and running my hand where I can the metal work feels OK. I've been recommended a local body shop and I'll report what they say and decide from there if its worth a claim.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 18:56   #9
kprida

Fyi. Bumper from dealer already painted, 570 inc vat. Yet to get body shop figures. But am guessing it won't be far off a new bumper.