Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 960 91/92

Views : 2778

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 19:14   #21
solder

Default frankensteins speedo

Frank????????do you mean me?or did my bad humour get lost frankenSTEINspeedo or is it reciprocating humour lol, if meaning me yes that number 352645 is on side of my 1992 speedo head.Be aware that the ic chip could also be damaged on these or others(i was lucky) and youll have to note the part numbers on them for replacement,plus get at least a 20x mag lens(i used 40x)and use a bright light to show up the pcb traces from the rear for backtracking and bear in mind ok looking traces may be just an oxidised shadow(resistance high).If you want to go that far with chip replacement the vid explains better than words the general process for chip replacement.If anyone bothers to watch this vid bear in mind that i cant see it being magnetism pulling out the left over pins(ferrous connectors??????) but surface tension/cohesion,adhesion ,i forget which!drawing them out and also its more long winded than necessary,a bit like me.Oh and isolate yourself from family members when doing it patience may run short lol.There's too much really to write up.If you didnt mean me oh well some of the info may be useful,lol............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47xGYT-QGLI

Last edited by solder; Sep 1st, 2013 at 19:17.
solder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 09:47   #22
solder

Default 1990/93 speedo saga

Well,unplanned addition/correction.Another speedo(1990 960 24v same as 92/93 but some resistors may be different ratings,watch out) has come into my hands so ive added some pics to complement the others.When youve removed the speedo indicator needle and seperated the two halves beware of damaging the small coil spring (blue circle pic2)when messing about soldering,....also this capacitor c15(green circle pic2)is rated at 50V 0.47uf 105centigrade bi-polar on all this type of of speedo ive messed with, just mentioning because on another write up(better than this) its mentioned as being 25v rated,could be different on those similar speedos or just an honest mistake.In pic1 the two red circles are the two screws you remove for seperating the pcb from the speedo front assembly and the two yellow circles are the mounting holes/screws for removing motor from the front assembly,and thats all you need to remove to seperate them.PS.replaced the 2 resistors same as previous speedos with a 2.2k(the 1991/2 was 3.3k) and second 160k. Sorry for bad photos and write up,but im neither a photographer or author.DISCLAIMER...be wary of capacacitors too much heat or voltage can turn them into little bullets and always double check my write up and be sure to point out any mistakes lol.Is it possible for admin to remove posts 9 and 19 as i didnt have time to edit the resistor balls_ up when i noticed them as left them too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1 1990 volvo 960 3litre yazaki speedo.jpg (93.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pic2 1990 volvo 960 3L.jpg (117.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by solder; Sep 6th, 2013 at 11:15. Reason: balls up post 9 and 19
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 11:21   #23
solder

Red face volvo 960 1990-1992 speedo

Well yet another unplanned post.It appears that one of the 2 speedo ic chips is still available, part number AN6505UBK(to registered businesses from the sounds of it but waiting for email from a likely seller at the mo)unless anyone has any better leads and im still trying to source 2nd chip.One of my spare speedos has duff ic chips.............pic of chip enclosed(no fish sorry) should mention that these repair posts refer to 1990 to 1992 volvo 960 speedos ONLY. this thread needs redoing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AN6505UBK ic chip.jpg (43.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by solder; Sep 13th, 2013 at 11:29. Reason: too busyyyyyyyy
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 13:25   #24
solder

cant send pm how did you go on with that 93 speedo i sent you mjk164