Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The bell tolls for Volvo's 5-cylinder engines

Views : 1532

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 13:16   #1
craigv60
Master Member

Default The bell tolls for Volvo's 5-cylinder engines

Well, Volvo has been talking about it for a while, and now it's finally introducing the engine that will replace the 5-cylinder petrols and diesels.

A first drive of the V60 with the new modular engine is here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...t-drive-review

It's a real shame, the 5-cylinder engine has such character
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 13:33   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

For mechanically ignorant people, ie me, why does moving from 5 cylinders to 4 either improve matters or make people go misty eyed with sadness? Noddy language please.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 13:50   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Because some people dislike the sound of a 4 cylinder engine preferring the nature of an engine with a cylinder count of 5 + cylinders which give a more "emotional noise related connection".

Furthermore one has to question any potential "longevity" of a 2,3,4 cylinder engine that we are seeing now that are using turbos and downsizing which I think that is something that has been highlighted in other downsizing engine threads focusing on Ford, Fiat and of course the new VEA engines (for example the new T6 which has reviews of being lacking in emotion if you will).

I cannot deny for me personally a small light car with a 4 cylinder is great fun but in something bigger then are larger cylinder count engine seems more "fitting" owing to a more relaxed "less busy" engine. However, one cannot deny that a 4 cylinder with turbos etc. offers the potential for better fuel economy and emissions than a larger cylinder count engine. My caveat with this though is that the current fuel economy testing is not fit for purpose and the current "eco" based engines have come no where near realistic values in many cases.

Last edited by Ninja59; Sep 18th, 2013 at 13:53.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 14:08   #4
Brodick
Master Member

Yeah, quite a few reviews going around
one here from Swedish magazine (pinched from general forum!)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=188775

It is a big gamble for the manufacturer. They know that many of the current customers enjoy the 5 cylinder engines and so to try an replicate the power & sound of a 5 cylinder but at the same time offer better fuel economy and emissions. The motoring press are going to try and find every little fault they can with the engines.

I myself will be interested to test drive the new D4 and the new D5 when it comes out. I hope for Volvo's sake they have got it right. Don't want to see them going the same way as Saab.

Last edited by Brodick; Sep 18th, 2013 at 14:09. Reason: forgot to insert the link - doh!!!!!!!!!!!
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brodick For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 14:17   #5
Ninja59

In relation to a complete switch to four cylinders it might loose some customers wanting 5+ but overall not many people care about cylinder count what most people will see for example with the T6 is maybe FWD in it's current only format (AWD is coming down the pipeline as a VEA engine), 300 horses, low emissions and decent fuel economy.

D4 - in a manual format below 100 g/km, lower emissions and better MPG than a BMW 320 if my mind is right with the same amount of power.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 14:33   #6
craigv60
Master Member

Ninja59 is right, not many people care that much about what's under the bonnet of their car. Even BMW is starting to move from its traditional 6-cylinder engines in its higher-end cars to turbocharged 4-potters.

However, for me, one of the main reasons for choosing the Volvo was the 5-cylinder motor ... having owned or test-driven all of the mainstream rivals in the repmobile class, which all have 2-litre, 4-cylinder turbodiesels**, the Volvo was just head & shoulders above the rest.

The engine gives it real character that the others lack, in my view. That offbeat snarl and double-edged warble when I boot the throttle still makes me grin even after 2 years ownership.

I do hope it takes a while to homologate the motors for mass production, and that I can get a last 5-cylinder V60 when my lease runs out next year.

(** of course, Audi and BMW both have 6-cylinder diesels, but these are stupidly expensive in company car tax, and beyond my means)

Last edited by craigv60; Sep 18th, 2013 at 14:35.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 15:04   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

So, to sum up for the mechanically naive: the 4 cylinder engines have to work harder, have less power but are more efficient in term of theoretical emissions and mpg tests that mfrs are now judged by. 5 or 6 cylinder engines have more power, make a better noise but are not as good at getting around the tests.

So far in the real world these new engines improve economy by about 1-2mpg at best. Worth the change? Mmmmmmmmm
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 15:26   #8
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Ninja59 is right, not many people care that much about what's under the bonnet of their car. Even BMW is starting to move from its traditional 6-cylinder engines in its higher-end cars to turbocharged 4-potters.

However, for me, one of the main reasons for choosing the Volvo was the 5-cylinder motor ... having owned or test-driven all of the mainstream rivals in the repmobile class, which all have 2-litre, 4-cylinder turbodiesels**, the Volvo was just head & shoulders above the rest.

The engine gives it real character that the others lack, in my view. That offbeat snarl and double-edged warble when I boot the throttle still makes me grin even after 2 years ownership.

I do hope it takes a while to homologate the motors for mass production, and that I can get a last 5-cylinder V60 when my lease runs out next year.

T6 6 cylinder inline engine (not a V6 like oh so many reports!):

(** of course, Audi and BMW both have 6-cylinder diesels, but these are stupidly expensive in company car tax, and beyond my means)
The VEA engines are already in production and beginning to see the first of the machines they are going in if you wish to avoid then you need a D3 or D5 the D4 is the first to be a VEA 4 cylinder engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
So, to sum up for the mechanically naive: the 4 cylinder engines have to work harder, have less power but are more efficient in term of theoretical emissions and mpg tests that mfrs are now judged by. 5 or 6 cylinder engines have more power, make a better noise but are not as good at getting around the tests.

So far in the real world these new engines improve economy by about 1-2mpg at best. Worth the change? Mmmmmmmmm
The bit in bold is not true in many cases these 4 cylinder engine if focusing on the VEA engines from Volvo either produce about the same within reason or more power.

If focusing generally on downsizing an FI engine has more potential for tuning, in the case of the T6 VEA it has huge potential for tuning.

Old T6 6 cylinder inline : Top speed: 155mph; 0-62mph: 6.2sec; Economy: 28.5mpg (combined); CO2: 231g/km; Engine: 6 cyls in line, 2953cc, turbocharged petrol; Power: 300bhp; Torque: 324lb ft; Gearbox: 6-spd automatic

New S'charged and Turbo T6 VEA 2.0 4 cylinder: 0-62mph 5.9sec; Top speed 143mph; Economy 44.1mpg (combined); CO2 149g/km; Engine 4 cyls, 1969cc, turbo and supercharged, petrol; Power 302bhp at 5700rpm; Torque 295lb ft at 2100-4500rpm; Gearbox 8-spd automatic

Last edited by Ninja59; Sep 18th, 2013 at 15:30.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 09:18   #9
NewVolvo
VOC Member

New VEA engines are now included on the online configurator for Holland (but not yet for Sweden, UK or Germany!).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post: