Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust Protection With Dinitrol

Views : 1708

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 17:28   #1
grantbennett2

Red face Rust Protection With Dinitrol

I´m just about to rust proof my Amazon with Dinitrol. Has anyone done the same, if so anything i should take into consideration? I have noticed they have a variety of waxes, i plan on using 3125 for the cavity protection and on top of this on the under side 4941 which is a thicker black wax. Again any comments please?

oh yes anyone know a supplier in the south london area

thanks
Grant

ps still looking for a twin downpipe for my automaic
grantbennett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 18:16   #2
madalexander

Hi Grant

How much do you expect to pay for the Dinitrol? And how long do you expect the job to take? I ask these questions as I know a professional and talented car restorer who will come to your home and do the job for you for around £475.00. I really don’t know how much the products cost but I do know he’s’ very highly thought off. I can look up his details for you if you wish?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 20:12   #3
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

I would certainly appreciate the details and some idea of the area he will visit. I bought a starter pack of Waxoyl but still have not got around to using it. Having someone else do it is really quite tempting.

I don't know about a supplier in S London but http://www.frost.co.uk/ supply Dinitrol products via mail order.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 00:42   #4
dilip122S

Whichever product you go for , check all your little drainholes are clear afterwards. My 122S was thoroughly Dinitrol'd in 2002 , but initially used to ship water in the doors after being out in the rain. Checked the drainholes in the door bottoms , found them blocked with Dinitrol. 2 minutes work with a screwdriver to rectify.
Incidentally , none of the treated areas have shown the slightest sign of deterioration as yet , so I guess the product does what it says on the tin......
Four years on , the Dinitrol still looks reasonably fresh too , and certainly does not seem to need re-doing yet. Overall , I'd definitely recommend it.
dilip122S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:43   #5
grantbennett2

dilip where did you buy your dinitrol?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 16:04   #6
penninepullman
VOC Member

I've used Dinitrol for many years now, admittedly on newer Volvos (200 and 700 models)
I tend to use 3125 everywhere, as it is translucent and you can see through it to check for any new corrosion; just needs 'topping up' each year or so.

I used to buy it through a factor in Lincolnshire (for our works car club), but they stopped importing it.
Frost are one of the few places I seen that advertise it.
PS. 1 litre cans which need spraying on work out much cheaper than aerosols

http://www.frost.co.uk/
penninepullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 17:50   #7
madalexander

The restorer I mentioned who will come to your home and apply Dinitrol from £475, he will travel to most of England. He trades as Classic Preservation and is based in Birmingham close to the motorway network. He does work for the Mercedes Benz Club, the Jaguar Club and the Bristol Club as well as individuals. He also applies Dinitrol to military vehicles for the MOD. He also does restorations including minor remedial work through to full concours ground up restoration to the highest standard he really does know what he’s doing, I have meet him at a pub meeting on a number of occasions.

His name is Paul Standley and he can be contacted on 0121 474 3172, 07976 531627 or email classicpreservation@hotmail.co.uk

I have read an article about his work in a magazine and the testimony of a couple of people who have used him on the Mercedes Benz Club forum.

I hope this is of some use and that I have not breached any of this forums regulations.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 18:30   #8
grantbennett2

Thumbs up thanks all

Thanks for thoughts

found dinitrol at 8.15 per litre before vat and p&p thats both the 3125 cavity wax and the 4941 black underbody wax. The company is called rustbuster their web site is www.rust.co.uk. They said for an amazon i needed 3 cans of cavity and 4 of underbody. I have ordered 5 of each just in case.

I did look at frosts but they were more expensive.

I did think about using just the 3125 on the underside too but ill give the underbody stuff a go, seems its not a bitumen type product.

The guy who comes to your car sounds good, but I´m booked in with my friend Carl at west london classics. He has quoted 5 hours at 45 quid. We shall see.

once again many thanks
Grant

Last edited by grantbennett2; Sep 21st, 2006 at 18:38.