Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5th gear problems

Views : 1427

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 21:30   #1
mcameron

I have a 940 2.0 litre turbo, petrol (wentworth) and the button operated fifth gear has just stopped working. Any suggestions for problems a novice could remedy before I trek off to be fleeced by the local garage?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:06   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 5th gear problems

What year is your car? The letter in the middle of the VIN is the best way to tell. I will assume that you have an M46 manual gearbox with overdrive unit. This is what is selected by the fifth gear button on the gear stick. Does the light go on and off when you operate the button? This will give a clue as to the location of the fault. There is a relay which is operated by the button, which in turn selects the overdrive solenoid on the side of the overdrive unit. This is dependant on the fourth gear switch on the side of the gearbox which will disengage the overdrive when fourth gear is not selected. Generally the relay or wiring is causing the fault.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:14   #3
mcameron

Thanks,

It is a 92 (identified by 'N' in the VIN number). There is (as far as I know) no light to indicate overdrive; if there should be then it is also inoperative but has never worked since I bought the car (almost a year ago) even when overdrive was working. Where would an overdrive light be if there was one?

Any suggestions what repair costs might be for either of these two faults?

Thanks again,

MC
Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:42   #4
mcameron

I just got under the car and noticed a loose wire so you are probably right - a wiring fault seems likely. Once its up on a ramp it will be easier to see if this is related or (yet) another unrelated problem.

Thanks,

MC
Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:12   #5
George Holmer

On my two cars with overdrive, the light is the one on the left hand side next to the reset button for the trip. I know that there are relays which do not include the light function so it is possible that yours should not have one. If is of course also possible that the bulb is gone.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler