Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

clutch

Views : 1222

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2013, 12:07   #11
wrinkles
VOC Member

Smile

I cant find a garage that will take it on near me the only other quote I got was over £500 . I think it is worth getting it done by a Volvo dealer because it keeps the history up I have all the history from new up to date and the car has only 47000 miles on it and I intend to keep it because of the condition and low milege.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 15:53   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

Smart move. You'll get it done right too.

TT
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 18:18   #13
wrinkles
VOC Member

Smile

I thought it was a reasonable price the clutch kit on its own is £251 and at least it is a genuine part so it not worth getting my tools out and laying on a cold floor for £190 labour charge plus I get a C30 for the day.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 00:05   #14
green van man
Premier Member

Do you know why clutch failed? At 47000 miles I would of expected it to last a lot longer. At the risk of hexing it mine has lasted 192000 miles and for last 2 has towed a caravan from Wales to Scotland and back twice a year.
Agree it's a good price for renewal, just surprised it's needed.
Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:28   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
I thought it was a reasonable price the clutch kit on its own is £251 and at least it is a genuine part so it not worth getting my tools out and laying on a cold floor for £190 labour charge plus I get a C30 for the day.
Its only a 2.5 hour job pure joy ! You have done the right thing , but as said above what is wrong with your clutch ?
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 10:58   #16
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

The peddle is high and the release bearing is squealing it is not slipping yet but I have to rely on my car every day so not taking any chances on it packing up on me.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 14:19   #17
green van man
Premier Member

Interestingly my clutch peddle is high and has been for the 10 years of owning the car, no sign of slipping.
Understand your concern regards squeeling release bearing, in that state it may last 10 years or 10 mins before collapsing. On ballence were I in your position I would do the same and change it if only for piece of mind. I know that at first sign of slipping mine will be changed but I think I have had my monies worth from it.
Regards Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 15:37   #18
wrinkles
VOC Member

Red face

Mine has been the same since I baught it 3000 miles ago but I aint taking any chances with it once its done its done however I will ask for the old bits to have a post mortem.