Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ATF change

Views : 1167

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 13:21   #1
Mark mc

Default ATF change

Could anybody recommend an Indy close to Preston/Bolton/wigan who has changed their ATF and knows what they're doing and importantly has changed your ATF with no negative consequences??

Thanks....

Mark.
Mark mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 15:33   #2
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark mc View Post
importantly has changed your ATF with no negative consequences??
Thats a bit unfair to ask for......

Depending on how old/knackered your box is, doing a fluid change can ultimately be the death of it.

A good garage should always make you aware of the risks.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 15:40   #3
Mark mc

Forgive my ignorance - wasn't aware the risks were so severe.

I've done 125K but can't find any paperwork to say it's been done previously. Just need to know if I should do it or not!! Got a big trip to Germany skiing over Christmas so just wondering if it's a must.

Last edited by Mark mc; Nov 27th, 2013 at 15:42. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 15:41   #4
Mark mc

Should add that hasn't caused any problems to date - touches all wood in reach!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark mc For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 16:17   #5
A lex
Premier Member

At 125k with no apparent problems itll be fine - in fact better than fine, you will just prolong its longevity

IF your box is knocking and flaring badly and is basically on deaths door - a fluid change can be your last option, but at the risk of disturbing all the crud within the box and thus killing it off.

I did a fluid change on my T5 when the box started to flare, made a world of difference and was well worth the money (did it locally here in NL, so I doubt the recommendation would do you any good!)
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 16:09   #6
phil13

Default recomended garage

Hi, just came across this thread and thought id recommend Corner house garage nr Warton /Lytham / blackpool. They are an independent Volvo garage with servicing and sales. They seem very knowledgeable and honest and give a good service and price. I nearly bought my car from them but found a cheaper one!! but took mine there for a cambelt service although I live in Cumbria as I was impressed when I was car hunting. hope that helps Phil
phil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil13 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 22:18   #7
RM955I
Premier Member

Sorry, can't agree with any assumption that ATF is best left alone or that changing the oil can cause failure. You need to check the condition of the ATF properly and chances are it is black. Power-flushing is generally not recommended but a series of "sump dumps" will dilute the dirty fluid and give the new fluid chance to act as a cleansing agent and help remove contaminants. 3 or 4, 500-1000 miles apart generally works wonders.

No oil lasts indefinitely and to assume that ATF does is likely to prove a costly assumption. Dirty, contaminated oil kills transmissions.
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 22:29   #8
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
Sorry, can't agree with any assumption that ATF is best left alone or that changing the oil can cause failure. You need to check the condition of the ATF properly and chances are it is black. Power-flushing is generally not recommended but a series of "sump dumps" will dilute the dirty fluid and give the new fluid chance to act as a cleansing agent and help remove contaminants. 3 or 4, 500-1000 miles apart generally works wonders.

No oil lasts indefinitely and to assume that ATF does is likely to prove a costly assumption. Dirty, contaminated oil kills transmissions.
Then unfortunately you are misinformed.

Changing the ATF oil as part of a regular maintenance regime is a great idea and should be readily encouraged - its laughable that Volvo (and others) label them as sealed for life.

However, seriously knackered boxes (slipping, flaring and knocking) CAN be saved or prolonged with a fluid change, but at the risk of killing it off.

Fresh ATF is very high in detergents that CAN flush all the accumulated crap and sludge in the box straight in to the pan, blocking the filter and oil galleries and leading to an almost immediate failure of the box.

If you have a dying g'box, then the damage is plainly already done and a fluid change will do nothing but prevent the inevitable (that may well be a good enough solution for many, allowing them to dispose of the car etc).

The OP has stated that the box currently appears to be in good health, so I would say that he should have no qualms about changing the fluid.

However, its also important to note the points that I have mentioned above, should you have a troubled auto box.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 22:42   #9
RM955I
Premier Member

We'll have to agree to disagree although I think we may actually be saying the same thing.

I changed my ATF at 88k and the fluid was beyond its serviceable life. A number of users of the AW55-50 have prolonged the life of a box with mild flaring and clunking by doing a series of sump dumps. If a box was going to fail, it was going to fail anyhow and putting clean ATF in it would make no difference. However, if the box is otherwise good then clean ATF will prolong the life especially if used in conjunction with a reputable external filter such as a Magnefine.

I have not heard of anyone killing a box by putting clean fluid in it - some merely fail to achieve the desired result as it was too late anyhow. You wouldn't leave dirty oil in an engine simply out of fear of changing it and the same applies to the transmission.
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 10:24   #10
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree although I think we may actually be saying the same thing.

I changed my ATF at 88k and the fluid was beyond its serviceable life. A number of users of the AW55-50 have prolonged the life of a box with mild flaring and clunking by doing a series of sump dumps. If a box was going to fail, it was going to fail anyhow and putting clean ATF in it would make no difference. However, if the box is otherwise good then clean ATF will prolong the life especially if used in conjunction with a reputable external filter such as a Magnefine.

I have not heard of anyone killing a box by putting clean fluid in it - some merely fail to achieve the desired result as it was too late anyhow. You wouldn't leave dirty oil in an engine simply out of fear of changing it and the same applies to the transmission.
I agree with you, as the leaving of oil in a box when it is not capable of carrying out it's job to lubricate as well as transmit power is a road to disaster.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote