Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S70 2.5T LPT ECU remap

Views : 2544

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 20:04   #1
tagbartok

Default S70 2.5T LPT ECU remap

Hi
I was wondering about the cost of an ECU remap for my '97 S70 2.5T with 193 BHP and which company to choose.
Thanks,
Tag
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 20:39   #2
wootty

Volvotuning in birmingham.
ill be taking mine to them soon now ive got all the other mods sorted.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:16   #3
tagbartok

Hi.
Anybody know roughly how much it costs please?
Cheers,
Tag
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:45   #4
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

You have more than one tuning option for your particular car:

Kalmar Union do MTE software remaps
Volvotuning do RICA software remaps
SW Autos & RT Mechanics do BSR software upgrades (SW Autos also do their own software remaps)
Superchips also have their own software upgrade for your car

If you can make it down for one of the Crooked Billet meets, there's usually a good spread of cars with remaps from these various tuners and it may be a good opportunity for you to talk to owners about their impressions. Some owners have even tried more than one of the abovementioned tuning options on their cars so will be in a very good position to tell you how the car drove with them, and their reasons for chosing one over the other. I would expect that you'd be looking at a moderate increase in power and torque (due to the higher compression of the 2.5T engine), but bear in mind that you can have two software options producing the same power and torque, but which drive completely differently.

Cost-wise, I think you should expect to pay around £300-£350 depending on tuner, but I would recommend contact each of them to see if they can do you a good deal, which I am sure they will (some may give you a discount for being a VOC member). In terms of what's involved, some tuners will re-flash the ECU directly, whilst others will have to solder a "chip" and protection board with the appropriate software on it.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Oct 7th, 2006 at 10:06.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:04   #5
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
You have more than one tuning option for your particular car:

Kalmar Union do MTE software remaps
Volvotuning do RICA software remaps
SW Autos & RT Mechanics do BSR software upgrades (SW Autos also do their own software remaps)
Superchips also have their own software upgrade for your car

If you can make it down for one of the Crooked Billet meets, there's usually a good spread of cars with remaps from these various tuners and it may be a good opportunity for you to talk to owners about their impressions. Some owners have even tried more than one of the abovementioned tuning options on their cars so will be in a very good position to tell you how the car drove with them, and their reasons for chosing one over the other. I would expect that you'd be looking at a moderate increase in power and torque (due to the higher compression of the 2.5T engine), but bear in mind that you can have two software options producing the same power and torque, but which drive completely differently.

Cost-wise, I think you should expect to pay around £300-£350 depending on tuner, but I would recommend contact each of them to see if they can do you a good deal, which I am sure they will (some may give you a discount for being a VOC member). In terms of what's involved, some tuners will re-flash the ECU directly, whilst others will have to solder a "chip" and protection board with the appropriate software on it.
now thats a sensible and informative reply, sadly lacking lately...
great advise and tagbartok, you would be foolish not to take heed
thanks pyapp
cheers
jod
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:06   #6
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootty View Post
Volvotuning in birmingham.
ill be taking mine to them soon now ive got all the other mods sorted.
hey, why dont you come with me one weekend to meet don in north london and you can test my 304rica along with a std ecu and don's 275 mte software all together on the SAME car...

cheers
jod
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:19   #7
sarge
Master Member

I went with the BSR PPC upgrade, largely because I could do it myself - which was quite important given I live in North West Scotland. I've had mine a couple of years now and it cost about £500 when I bought it from PFS. It ceratinly made a difference to performance; the 2.4/2.5 LPT isn't bad as stock but the re-map gives it a bit more punch. Go for it - I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 19:02   #8
tagbartok

Hi
I'm now seriously contemplating the RICA upgrade offered by Chip Tuning in Bloxwich at the moment because they are close to home
The upgrade is for my 1997 S70 2.5T CD Auto.
This is the B5254T engine with the Low Power Turbo and 193 BHP.
I now understand that the ECU has to be removed to be reprogrammed.
It can't be done through the OBDII port so I can't go down the PPC route.
Before I commit though I'd like to know if anyone else has upgraded the ECU on this particular model?
How and what are the pros and cons.
Thanks.