Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

04 XC90 "Engine Service Required" Woes - VIDA around Notts??

Views : 777

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2014, 13:39   #1
RobC70R
XC90 D5 SE

Default 04 XC90 "Engine Service Required" Woes - VIDA around Notts??

Hi all, I'll hit this from the top in the hope someone can shed more light than me on the issues I'm having as I'm near the end of my fuse with it all!

Exactly a year ago, I bought the wife an 04 XC90 D5 SE AWD Geartronic, 91k miles with full dealer history, very tidy all over.

3 weeks into ownership during some hard acceleration onto a dual carriageway I see the first of many "Engine Service Required" messages appear on the display.

Since then, I've been through many different items and possible issues - the generic code I get is P0244 - Supercharger/Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance.

After some research through the forums, I've already replaced the engine mount vacuum pipes including the actuator vacuum pipe, and the fuel filter - both of which I've seen mentioned to do with this. Also ran more than one bottle of the best red-ex stuff through in the hope it could be a blockage and the car also gets regular long runs so it doesn't stay around town all its life either.

I've recently serviced the car myself (last week) and the error message seems to be coming on more now than it has been recently as it seemed to tail off a lot. I've topped the oil up to just above the full mark on the dipstick (read on as I know this is another possible cause)

When servicing the car, I've noticed that I have quite a bad rocker cover gasket leak - something I'm guessing has been there a while and has been ignored due to the fact you have to disconnect all the injector supply hardpipes and the injector loom to remove the cover and gasket. Theres a good pool of oil collecting around the injector pit at the back of the engine and leaking down the back - the rest of the engine is dry all over with all other seals appearing tight.

Now another thing I've read is about the oil level on the dipstick apparently only supposed to be topped up to about half way??? (the car seemed to run really well and only displayed the message very occasionally once the oil level had dropped a little due to the leak).

Could the leaky rocker gasket be affecting the oil pressure readings to the ECU causing the light?

I'm really in need of a VIDA scan, but I really don't want to line the stealers pockets, so is there anyone in the Nottingham/Derby area that has VIDA who would be happy to scan my car and give me a much clearer idea of where the issue is, as these generic codes given by the normal scanners aren't much help with this!!! Beer vouchers waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help appreciated!!!!

Rob
RobC70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 15:21   #2
owenfackrell
Premier Member

It is only the dpf equipped 185bhp engines and newer that require the oil to go to only half way. It is possible that the low oil pressure could cause a fault light up if the leak/hole is large enough. The rocker cover is at a high point so silent get gallons of oil coming out. I have replaced the rocker cover/inlet manifold gasket on our Renault 2.2 dci engine. Whilst I replaced the gaskets on the injectors I did not replace the pipe work as I just can see any justification for doing it. I wouldn't replace any other hydraulic pipe work just cause it's come apart. The Renault has done over 2k since and the mpg has never been higher.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 16:42   #3
silvermatt

Hi Rob. I'm new to this forum and a prospective XC90 owner. This sounds a lot like an issue I had on my VW. Root cause was the turbo becoming sooted up and the vanes no longer moving at higher revs. This causes overboost which a pressure sensor detects and then alarms (in VW it initates limp mode). Resolved by switching off/on engine. Not great and happens most in hard acceleration as you describe. Resolution is to clean or replace turbo unit. I've not read this as a common fault on volvos though so could be wrong.
silvermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 18:44   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

I've seen the turbo wastegate fault when I had MAF problems. As soon as the MAF was changed, the turbo code cleared too. The MAF did produce its own fault code too though.
My humble opinion is that your fault sounds air related, so a hook up (not necessarily to Dice) to get some airflow data will shed more light.
Whilst you're waiting, a clean up of your MAF using CRC MAF Cleaner and a good check over of all air intake pipes, filters and fittings wouldn't do any harm.