Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto box 'L' gear function

Views : 571

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:00   #1
CPH

Default Auto box 'L' gear function

The handbook is quite vague on this so don't know whether to think my box has a problem or if it's the intended behaviour.

When in 'L' gear, should the box change freely up and down between 1st and 2nd gear?

Mine will change down to 1st from 2nd in 'L' but once it's changed to 1st it will never change back up to 2nd. It's caught me out a few times but don't know if it's designed to be this way or whether a fault has developed.

No light is lit on the dash and it's always been like this since I bought the car but it just seems odd behaviour.

Cheers!
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 21:38   #2
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
From the owners manual:
L Low Gear
The transmission does not change up in position L.
Select position L if you wish to drive in first and second gear and you do not wish to change up. For example if you are driving off in hilly terrain, since position L offers the best engine braking power. In this position the indicator lamp in the instrument panel lights up (the thick arrow pointing up).
The transmission will conspicuously shift down from second to first if road speed drops to below 25mph (40 km/h) when driving in E Mode and below 6mph (10km/h) in S Mode.

Cheers

When you switch on the ignition check if the transmission up arrow button is illuminating on the dash - it sounds blown.
As you speed up I would have thought it would return to second, but as you say the manual is vague, it only mentions the fact it shifts down.

Last edited by OvlovS70; Apr 27th, 2014 at 23:23.
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 00:06   #3
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
Think I've answered my own issue that I created in my previous post. Sorry.
The bit in bold is like that in the manual. So once it drops to first that's it. You would need to move your shifter to D then L to repeat the process. The gearbox will assume it has done its work and looks to be wanting to get out of L as soon as possible which is understandable.
So yes, your auto transmission is working fine - just the dash light to sort.
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 22:54   #4
CPH

Thanks for the heads up bud. Yeah, I find the wording of the handbook confusing as it states that the gearbox doesn't change up in L but then says to use L if you want to drive in 1st and 2nd gear and do not wish to change up.

To me this suggests that it obviously won't change up past 2nd but it says nothing explicitly about it not changing out of 1st either.

In any case I have no dash lights indicating a fault so I shall simply assume it is behaving in the intended manner.

I still think it's daft though!

Thanks again,

Chris