Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 s60 D5 nackerd turbo

Views : 2549

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2014, 20:41   #21
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I have just used Vida to read the codes and it is
ECM 1300 mass air flow signal to high
That was probably from the burst pipe
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 15:37   #22
davebb
Premier Member

Default I think i have found why my turbo broke

Hi I have just looked at my knackered turbo
I have found the VNT is seized closed so there was no boost control
but there has been no codes or limp mode
The car must have been like this for a long time
as when I opened up the turbo I could not move the vnt assembly
Thanks for all of your help. Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:58   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Hi I have just looked at my knackered turbo
I have found the VNT is seized closed so there was no boost control
but there has been no codes or limp mode
The car must have been like this for a long time
as when I opened up the turbo I could not move the vnt assembly
Thanks for all of your help. Dave
If anyone is interested in learning more about VNT turbo failures, this clip is fairly good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmg_LEVoTHM

Seems to be oil related, rather than air filter debris, although time at idle factors were mentioned.
The Coking they mentioned is often called varnish in the rest of the block, BUT it gets got enough to burn new varnish into a type of black varnish which looks like Coking coal in colour and shine (Obstructions in the oil feed line are caused by normal dark brown varnish).

Potential avoidance scheme:
A real good full synthetic changed at a severe duty service interval (GTL or G4 base stock if possible), which might be half the normal interval.
If the car does a lot of short trips or is booted around a lot then the Coke issue which can be reduced by using full synthetics is best delt with by using a solvent based flush for 10 mins just before an oil and filter change.
The combination of FS oils (GTL & G4's in particular) and an idle pre flush is very effective at keeping hot running bearings clean.

Note: Doing a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) in a basic form is not too good at predicting turbo failures until they are about to happen, BUT it can be used to confirm a good oil is in use and that the oil change interval is correct. It's of more use at detecting other longer term issues, as hot bearings can fail much faster than normal main bearings.
UOA is very good at spotting HG leaks (Often years before the owner could), fuel contamination, oil scams (Compare with a known result for the new oil), non standard air filters and even a bad oil filter.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; May 31st, 2014 at 11:03.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 11:14   #24
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Thanks for your reply,
How can it be oil related as the vnt does not have a oil supply to it,only the turbo shaft has a oil supply,i think that you was correct about overboost as the vnt is seized in the closed maximum boost setting so like you said that the turbo would not have given the correct boost to rpm as the map asks for
thanks for your help
Thanks Dave
Old May 31st, 2014, 16:05   #25
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Hi Thanks for your reply,
How can it be oil related as the vnt does not have a oil supply to it,only the turbo shaft has a oil supply,i think that you was correct about overboost as the vnt is seized in the closed maximum boost setting so like you said that the turbo would not have given the correct boost to rpm as the map asks for
thanks for your help
Thanks Dave
The You tube clip was talking about why they failed from Coke deposits, so that is odd if the unit has no form of lubrication. How is it moved, as I don't have the parts diagram ?? They might think it is greased and gets too hot when the turbo is over heated.

PS: I missed the first change of subject, so he says Soot before talking about other turbo failures. So back to the K&N again, although I don't understandar where the soot comes from, unless the EGR feeds the front section ??

This clip of how to clean the vanes says no oil must be used, so they are dry, or supposed to be until an oiled filter is fitted. In the end all roads lead to the K&N in most cases, although this was an overboost one.
Clip link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTqZPbBet0I

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; May 31st, 2014 at 16:28.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 23:54   #26
davebb
Premier Member

Thanks for the link to youtube that was very good,
the k&n air filter is now gone from the car and a new Volvo one fitted
I have run up the car today with the brand new turbo,but have not driven it as I still have to screw on the heat shield above the cat/down pipe
I did a test with vida and switch on and of the turbo control valve(vnt control)
and that is working very well,i just hoe that this vnt does not seize for the time I keep the car,
also as the vnt is in the hot side of the turbo there can not be any lubrication
these vnt turbos do curse a lot of problem's,i don't now if newer models off vnt turbos still have this problem
Thanks for all of your help
Thanks Dave
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:50   #27
partsforvolvos
Trader

Thanks for sending the hose back to us Dave.
As discussed this is definitely a puncture rather than a split caused by hose failure.
I haven't a clue how it could have happened, as given the multiple layers of reinforcement and thickness of hose it would have had to be very sharp and quite a bit of pressure I suspect.
a replacement part will be supplied as requested.
glad to hear also that you are very pleased with the do88 intercooler.
Jamie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0139.JPG (47.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0140.JPG (23.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by partsforvolvos; Jun 3rd, 2014 at 12:00.
partsforvolvos is offline   Reply With Quote