Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your Comments Please

Views : 1145

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 14:13   #1
Rawas
Master Member

Default Your Comments Please

How true you think this article is:
http://247wallst.com/autos/2014/06/1...erican-market/
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 14:30   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Difficult to say for such a different market. I was in the US a couple of months ago for the first time and I think I saw only two XC90's in the whole time I was there. I saw a lot of US cars, Korean, Japanese and a sprinkling of European cars. The scene was dominated by big petrol engined cars and that is not a strength for Volvo, unless others know differently.

The US is a huge and competitive market and unless you are going to spend a lot on marketing it is going to be difficult to break it with a relatively expensive car.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 15:51   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Can Volvo win in America? Thats the question but win at what? The very first line is saying about Volvo wanting to be the safest manufacturer in America. Well considering that the 4 Volvo models to go through the IIHS new small offset crash test have all acheiced good ratings, something I dont think any other manufacturer can claim, and certainly Audi, BMW and Mercedes can't, then they've already acheived it!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 17:01   #4
ptrfram

I am in this US. I often browse this forum because there is a lack of information about Volvo in the US focused forums. Lack of information, buzz, visibility is one problem for Volvo in this market.

We have been researching which new family car to buy for about a month. First instinct was Audi Q5 but decided we did not like the look or the associated cheesy image that it has developed with so many on the road around us. Would not choose BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes for similar reasons. We see dozens of these cars every time we go anywhere. They feel more like overdone mass market cars than luxury vehicles to us.

After doing a lot of research, I think it is safe to say most American luxury segment buyers are interested in the flash, name recognition, and status. That is why buyers mostly choose Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. It is a safe bet for someone expected to have such a vehicle. Meets the requirements, no questions asked.

I have read and watched many Volvo reviews. None of the XC60 reviews had anything significantly negative to say. Almost all of the reviews are very positive. Volvo makes great luxury cars these days and we are going with Volvo because it is kind of understated and competitive with the aforementioned brands on nearly every point.

However, for most people in the US, when you say Volvo, an image of a very safe 1980's rectangular red station wagon sitting in the repair shop garage comes to mind. The image of today's Volvo is just not there. Certainly not a luxury image for the average folk who don't follow the automobile industry that much.

Since we narrowed it down to the XC60, I have seen exactly one XC60 on the road in three weeks of driving every day. There are more older XC90s out there. And last night I did see a Volvo TV commercial (with the XC60) for the first time that I can remember.

Also, my potential Volvo dealer has the largest inventory of XC60's in my region. Even then, the only cars on the lot have all sorts of extra expensive packages that don't want (Sport, 20" wheels, Inscription, R Design), but none with what I do want (Platinum, BLIS, Tech, Climate). The process of ordering is confusing, slow, and the dealer must get back to me after he gets more information from Volvo. By comparison, if I wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee (I thought I did at one point) I could just walk onto the lot, find the exact package I wanted, and drive off the lot with my new car in an hour (and I would see 1 to 2 Jeep GC's driving right next to me at each stoplight on the way home). Buying a Volo in the US is complex and slow by comparison.

I hope Volvo does better the US. But I suspect the focus on growth and manufacturing in the China market will compete for the attention and investment. Once Volvo starts selling made in China cars in the US market, the "luxury" image will completely disappear due to the heavy stereotypes of the majority of American consumers and media.
ptrfram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ptrfram For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 19:01   #5
BigBadRob
PieMaster

Just to throw this into the mix:
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...ot-buy-diesels

With a very solid foundation in the diesel engine market which may not be viewed favourably by the consumer, as well as the scarcity of the fuel and price fluctuations (as well as a price increase over gasoline) it's not difficult to see why the average American might never even consider looking at a Volvo.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 19:27   #6
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadRob View Post
Unfortunately that link does not work for me...
Quote:
We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee
Second guessing what it might say, without (please!) degenerating to a diesel vs petrol debate, it worth emphasising that many Brits (self included) will not buy diesels either. And we are all entitled to our views, and entitled to take our business elsewhere

I personally have come to associate Volvo's recent and current range as being highly diesel-centric, and to percieve that they have no real liking for petrol cars. For that reason, I would not feel comfortable buying from them again.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 03:22   #7
ptrfram

Volvo does not offer Diesel options in the US market. At least not for the XC60. Our choices are all petrol:

(New 2015) Four-cylinder Drive-E Turbocharged Engine (T5) FWD
(New 2015) Four-cylinder Drive-E Supercharger/Turbocharged Engine (T6) FWD
Six-cylinder Engine (3.2)
Six-cylinder Turbocharged Engine (T6 R-Design AWD)
Six-cylinder Turbocharged Engine (T6 AWD)

As the BBC report states, the NOx emissions regulations block many of the European diesels from the US market. However there is demand. The Jeep Grand Cherokee recently added a $4500 massive diesel option (made in Italy) with impressive fuel economy that can tow 7200 (US) lbs!

More and more US consumers are pushing for diesel options. Called "clean diesel" here. Even the XC60 plug-in hybrid is being developed with a petrol engine for the USA market. Many potential buyers have been complaining that it won't be a diesel option.

And yes, diesel prices are currently greater than premium petrol in the US. The prices fluctuate unpredictably to extremes. It is actually not that hard to find diesel at standard services stations in most areas. Many people are willing to pay more for fuel simply to get more range between fueling if not also to reduce emissions.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 05:41   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Its all about the brand.

Whether Volvo lovers like it or not Volvo is 'Peter Kays Rola Cola' whereas BMW Audi Merc etc are 'Coca Cola' in the eyes of the consumer.

Just like Kia and Huyndai, however good they become they will always be 'Rola Cola' not 'Coca Cola'

Think this sums it up all nicely?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 07:34   #9
tt82
Forum Support Team

I wouldn't agree with that VR. As I can't think of enough 'Colas', I will use chocolate!

BMW, Audi and Mercedes are your Dairy Milk and Galaxy Chocolate bars! Absolutely everywhere with as man different varieties as you can think off.
Volvo and Lexus (at least in the UK) are more like Thorntons/Lindt/Belgian/Swiss chocolate bars. A nice alternative to the mainstream but something that most people would pass.
Your Ford/GM Vauxhall/Skoda Etc are the Supermarket own brand chocolates. Nearly as good as the German 3 but a lot cheaper.

One thing that I love about Volvo is that they don't sell many cars! I was speaking to a friend at weekend who has a silver Ford Focus. He has to try at least 3 different cars in the car park before finding his. Generally my Volvo will be the only one in the car park. I like the exclusivity and if it comes at a premium, either in price or not as technologically developed then I will accept and pay that price!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 07:48   #10
ptrfram

In one yankee's humble opinion, Volvo is more like Pepsi than Rola Cola. It has a classy unique image worth appreciation, but it's not Coca Cola. Volvo is sort of out there uniquely by itself and certainly in a different league than Hyundai or Kia with regards to image.

I almost commented earlier that if/when Volvo's China built models start selling in the US the image will become more like Hyundai. It took Hyundai about 20 years to become a respectable budget/discount imaged brand in this market. I expect it would take China made Volvos 12 to 15 years to recover in image. Perhaps under 10 years if they cut China manufactured vehicles price by 35% to 40% vs those built in Europe. If they go that route then I would suggest just changing the brand name altogether.

Last edited by ptrfram; Jun 11th, 2014 at 07:51.