Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID Conversion kit will fail MOT

Views : 703

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2014, 11:23   #1
Thomas C

Default HID Conversion kit will fail MOT

So I had an MOT/service done on my 2010 C30 yesterday.

I asked about whether they did the HID kits. I know you can buy them off ebay for £30 but I wouldn't have a clue how to fit them.

The receptionist then got back to after speaking to the mechanic and said that Volvo discontinued them and that they'd fail an MOT.

Is this correct?
Thomas C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 11:38   #2
Shaunyshaun1234

I BELIEVE that aftermarket kits without the correct projectors, self levelling and lense washing etc will fail an MOT.

Not sure if this is correct, perhaps someone else will be able to back it up!
Shaunyshaun1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 11:49   #3
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

I've had HIDs in the V70 for 2 years.
The only issue the MOT guy had was a slightly scattered beam pattern but they passed. I don't have projectors, just reflectors.

If you have wash/wipe on the lights, it MUST work.
If you have level adjusters (weather automatic or manual) it MUST work.
They MUST be a "sensible" colour - blue, purple etc will fail.
Beam pattern MUST follow the original pattern closely.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 16:19   #4
Welton
Premier Member

MOT testers generally only look at the beam pattern and level to make sure it falls within set limits for road use. All aftermarket HID's come with a disclaimer that they are "not sold for road use" - this is because they cannot gain the test/type approval with the combination of light source and reflector design.

This condition also covers there arses in the event of a serious claim or accident investigation. Your insurance may also be invalid due to the car's lighting being modified. When you insure a vehicle you are asked if there are any modifications from standard, the answer stays in force for the rest of the policy and any subsequent renewals.

Lots of people fit these kits and have no problems but it is worth thinking about the above.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 16:26   #5
Johnny Kebab

I had hid kits in my 08 vectra's head and fog lights and went through 4 mot's no problem. I put a set in my dad's Santa Fe and it passed 2 weeks ago and I have them in my V50 and haven't had any problems. Whack them in, appreciate the light upgrade and don't worry about it!

Johnny Kebab
Johnny Kebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 16:34   #6
Welton
Premier Member

The MOT man won't pop along to the court hearing and back you up though will he? it's not his problem.

This will no doubt sound stupid to some but seriously if you killed someone on the road and the insurance engineer/police found all these wires and ballasts poking out from your headlamp casings they WILL NOT help you no matter what happened in the claim. That's why all the kits say "not for road use".
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 16:39   #7
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

None of the 3 kits I have installed on my car, nor the 2 kits I installed on a friends 850R or the kit I installed on an Audi A4 have had "not for road use" on the box or anywhere on the literature inside.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 16:41   #8
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

technically it should be a failure, however the changed and automation of the MOT means as others have said as long as sensible with colour choice, its hard for tester to fail, as it doesn't fall into a yes/no tick box, especially if you have headlight washers, as there is no prescribed testing for self levelling of lights, or IIRC headlight/bulb compatibility, so even if you fit aftermarket HID's, if beam pattern is correct, they can't check if its a genuine fit kit with self levelling, correct headlights and such like, so its almost like the 'cover obscuring' advisories, they can't dismantle or remove, so it is always tested as prescribed and by what is visible or can be handled as prescribed (like checking for play in drop links for example)

If you say "I have fitted non approved HID bulbs, and don't have self levelling", then I would guess there may be a tester who would fail, but even then, he would have to prove in a non invasive way you were telling truth, as you always have right to dispute either passed or failed when you believe it shouldn't have, and you could deny you ever stated any such thing
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 17:18   #9
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

My last MOT's advisory said something like... "aftermarket discharge headlights causing slight scattering of beam pattern".
If I hadn't told them, they would've guessed from the initial flash when turning them on and although the ballasts are well hidden, there's no hiding the wires coming from the headlight caps.

Bottom line, it's down to how the tester perceives the rules. Some will fail and some will pass HIDs.