Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Biggest ever fill up?

Views : 2079

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2014, 09:31   #21
I-S
Premier Member

Conversely, one could argue that if the vehicle is regularly run right down to the bottom of the tank then there will never be a build up of sediment/etc down there, as it will be trapped by the replaceable fuel filter, doing its job.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 14:36   #22
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Conversely, one could argue that if the vehicle is regularly run right down to the bottom of the tank then there will never be a build up of sediment/etc down there, as it will be trapped by the replaceable fuel filter, doing its job.
We are starting to go round in circles with this one, there are those who wish to empty their fuel tanks before every fill up and those who never go below a certain level. I am one of the latter which comes from what I have read and been advised, I am too long in the tooth to suddenly change now.

How much fuel can I get into my Volvo fuel tank? Who cares, it says in the Manual it is a 70 litre tank so I fill it up when I think I need to fill up, when the delivery pump clicks "off" I stop filling in case I spill fuel over myself and the side of my car.

Of course taking into account how fuel froths during delivery I could always squeeze in another few litres but that will depend on how the delivery pump is set up. But will I manage to put in more fuel from a supermarket pump than from a Shell or Esso pump and does supermarket fuel froth more than other fuels and do I have to let the fuel settle for a few minutes before I try and squeeze in that last few litres..................

Did I ever mention the time when I went to fill up from a 24hr pump in a supermarket in France only to discover the fuel hose was burst and as soon as I removed the nozzle from the pump the pump started and 5 litres of gasoil (diesel) was deposited over my shoes and under the car before I could get the nozzle back into the pump to stop it. It was 11pm, there were no obvious signs that the hose was split and there was nobody about to complain to AND I was charged for the 5 litres as it was a pre-pay pump. Good job it was diesel and not petrol as the result could have been so different.

Last edited by GrantA; Jun 13th, 2014 at 14:38.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 14:36   #23
nickbw898

If you have all wheel drive then your tank will be of the saddle back variety and the fuel pump moves fuel over from one side to the other as it drains. Perhaps this is why not running to empty is said to be a good policy. Having said that I have not had trouble with the pump in ten years but I have had the filler pipe let go causing the tank to dump 60+ liters of petrol!
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 14:45   #24
tt82
Forum Support Team

Anyway, back on topic. According to my Fuelly I just put 70.93L in but in reality it was only 63.73L. It was on empty but fuel near work is expensive, so I put in £10 there before driving home and fuelling up at my local Shell.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote