Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V70 Front Bumper/Fender

Views : 975

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2014, 20:31   #1
StuAgain

Default 1999 V70 Front Bumper/Fender

I had the misfortune to get my 1999 V70 clipped by another car, his rear door and rear wheel clipped my LH front bumper/fender and ripped it off. In the process the metal fixing bracket attached to the box section "chassis" deformed and ripped out the captive fixing nuts, ripping the metal of both the bracket and "chassis" as well as damaging the various plastic clips.

I am worried that the Assessor will report that the repairs will exceed the replacement value of the car. I would like to keep the car and repair it; it is low mileage and in fair condition as I have had it from new. Does this sound a feasible possibility and any points to bear in mind when I speak to the body shop.

The lamp wipers are destroyed, but there is no need to replace those nor the bumper/fender.
StuAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 12:07   #2
keith1963

I would suggest if possible to be there when the assessor inspects your car and provide him with copies of any history and repair costs incurred over the years to support your claim, it's also worth doing a check with your insurance company as to the possibility of buying the salvage back, some companies insist on the car being retained by them for disposal, if you do get it back shop around for repair costs and get it fixed afterall many cars are bought and repaired so why should your V70 not be.

Also do a general search of like for like vehicle in a similar condition and history to yours, I recently had a low mileage, one owner prior to me 940 hit by an uninsured driver who left the scene, initially the insurance company only offered £400.00 despite having an agreed value, but after a bit of research on various sites I could prove that a similar car would cost me from £12-£1500 to replace I got £1350.
keith1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 18:01   #3
steveedge

Hi I drive for a salvage company and I'm forever picking cars up that get written off for practically no damage once they're over ten years old insurance companies consider them as good as worthless but if you ask the question chances are for next to nothing they'll let you buy it back all be it as a recorded total loss if not salvage companies will sell you the car back even if that's through an auction we deliver loads of cars back to owners who have bought them back mention it to your insurer I just picked up an Audi a6 2.7 estatequarto estate (sorry for my deviation from our favourite marque but it's for her indoors)on a 06 plate cat d write off through our auction for £2000 all it needs is a bonnet and bumper which have cost £100 in the same colour just bolt on and done so it wouldn't cost you much even if you had to buy through a salvage auction
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 19:55   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

You could also ask about 'cash in lieu of damages', long story short, I did this some years ago with my Renault Espace as they were proposing to do a second rate repair, I got £700, splodged a bit of filler in the plastic of the bumper and whacked the bracket straight with a lump hammer, made a lot more sense than them respraying half the car the wrong colour!

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front bumper, repairs, v70 1999