Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FK Coilovers.

Views : 3739

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2014, 16:04   #21
skyship007
Premier Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
rubbish.....complete and utter rubbish. You dont need special tools to cut springs, just a vice, an angle grinder and enough brains to work the two tools (but not enoguh to realise that cutting springs in todays day and age isnt really very sensible).

Not really sure what your insurance will say. They never say "ohhh did you mod this yourself? you naughty boy" they jsut ask if its modified and were they done to a satisfactory standard. I do 95% of my own mods and my insurance has never grumbled about it. The only people likely to grumble are the DVLA when you do your own engien conversion. Even then it onyl requires a piece of paper from a proper mechanic to say "this was done to a safe standard". Job done.

As your signature says, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH because you do say some very elaborate and mindboggling sometimes Mr Skyship.

As pikey as its sounds, cutting springs whilst frowned upon (i dont like them) isnt illegal or technically unsafe. No one has ever died from cutting their own springs and even now, its a cost effective way to go low for no money. Some cars dont have aftermarket lowering kits or they dont go low enough so cutting is the only option.

Not my preferred method to do things but a car wont fail an MOT for being on cut springs.
The MOT does not matter in this case, as it's simply an undeclared Mod that has a potential to interfere with the cars handling. If it's not approved in writing with an exact description of what has been done to the springs (Very difficult to get an insurance company to approve a non standard Mod part), then in legal terms they can easily dodge an insurance claim or even find you liable for gross negligence.
The invalid policy game would be based on failure to describe the vehicle correctly, although I suppose if you could prove the resulting ride height and performance of the cut spring was in limits, it might be possible to dodge that one, with expensive expert help.

Never fully trust an insurance company unless you have a no questions agreed value policy direct from Lloyds of London. Some of the cheaper ones say yes to everything to retain a customer, then no to anything non standard afterwards if there is a claim. If you DIY a spring chop job, I can almost guarantee some kind of trouble if you make an insurance claim, although it might just be limited to not paying for your own loss if you have fully comp. They will do that for a spelling mistake sometimes, but will have real fun over a spring bodge job.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 16:16   #22
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Who ever said about not declaring mods?

Youve obviously never had any experience with declaring a modified car to an insurance company as you know absolutely NOTHING about the process, how it works and how they approach insuring a modified car.

Oh forget it. Its like talking to a wall with you. You never listen and type away massive essays banging on about insurance declarations, oil contaminations, anyone who mods a car is dangerous, a cheapskate, boy racer who know nothing about cars and doesnt declare things to their insurance and TUV approved BS when they have absolutely no influence on the original topic in hand. There really is no talking to you or trying to engage in a sensible conversation that doesnt end up with you yammering on about utter bollocks.

Thanks for pointing out my typing mistakes. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of themselves and jumble up the letters in a word as Im typing.

Back on topic. FK Coilovers on a road car?......dont bother. They are trash as others have said.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide

Last edited by Antz; Sep 1st, 2014 at 16:18.
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 16:28   #23
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

Quote:

Not my preferred method to do things but a car wont fail an MOT for being on cut springs.

Not entirely true Antz

If the spring falls from it's seats and doesn't relocate itself then sadly it's a fail the only way around this is to also fit shorter stroke shocks but as you mentioned in your post I don't think chopped springs have caused any deaths or serious accidents

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 19:19   #24
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Who ever said about not declaring mods?

You've obviously never had any experience with declaring a modified car to an insurance company as you know absolutely NOTHING about the process, how it works and how they approach insuring a modified car.

Oh forget it. Its like talking to a wall with you. You never listen and type away massive essays banging on about insurance declarations, oil contamination's, anyone who mods a car is dangerous, a cheapskate, boy racer who know nothing about cars and doesn't declare things to their insurance and TUV approved BS when they have absolutely no influence on the original topic in hand. There really is no talking to you or trying to engage in a sensible conversation that doesn't end up with you yammering on about utter bollocks.

Thanks for pointing out my typing mistakes. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of themselves and jumble up the letters in a word as I'm typing.

Back on topic. FK Coil overs on a road car?......don't bother. They are trash as others have said.
I've corrected your grammar and spelling, thank me later
I'd take your time when replying to the insurance TUV oil god.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 19:37   #25
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
I've corrected your grammar and spelling, thank me later
If a woman wants to do a rush job, it's a free world. Not so sure about the legal implications of not spellin engine correctly yet.

Declarations to an insurance company have little legal meaning, it is the reply that matters. If they get nasty over a claim the exact legal meaning of every word can make a real difference, so you need to use a good auto engineering dictionary, just in case a cut is confused with a grind off job, or even a real good Oxy BJ. Some types of steel even need to be annealed again after cutting to avoid making them brittle or subject to fatigue cracks.

Letters from other parties saying the work is OK, are a true legal nightmare. More legal loop holes than a colander!

I've not looked at the type of springs used for V40's, but this is one common warning:

A coil spring with tangential ends is the only type of coil spring that may safely be cut (Check definition, might be an angle grinder) to lower a car. Do not cut a coil spring with square ends or pigtail ends.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 1st, 2014 at 19:46.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 22:05   #26
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
I've corrected your grammar and spelling, thank me later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Not so sure about the legal implications of not spelling engine correctly yet.
Grammar Nazi's.

I type very quickly and don't always re-read what I type to correct any spelling mistakes. We aren't all perfectly literate and 100% accurate in our spelling and grammar all the time.

Oh and by the way. Both the above quotes corrected for spelling and grammar. You asked for it.

Owned bitches.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 22:42   #27
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Grammar Nazi's.

I type very quickly and don't always re-read what I type to correct any spelling mistakes. We aren't all perfectly literate and 100% accurate in our spelling and grammar all the time.

Oh and by the way. Both the above quotes corrected for spelling and grammar. You asked for it.

Owned bitches.
Can't we just organise a Volvo owners club trip to see Pooship and drown him in oil of varying specs?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 21:41   #28
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Can't we just organise a Volvo owners club trip to see Pooship and drown him in oil of varying specs?
Non oem oil...aaaaarrgghhhh!!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 23:40   #29
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Non oem oil...aaaaarrgghhhh!!!!
Whoops sorry my bad, ill go back to my Vectra and fit the braided brake lines :P

The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:

Tags
coilover, fk automotive, lowered, suspension