Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

self levelling shocks

Views : 793

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 16:34   #1
martinblackett

hi all, this 940 estate is our first volvo and after 2 months of ownership ive just found out it has these shocks on the back.
not wanting to appear a numbskull but ive. never heard of them before,what are they for, what do they do, how do they do it and are they independant or joined together in some way. thankyou.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 19:55   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: self levelling shocks

Nivomats - you're friendly self leveling shockers.

What are they for - they do just what it says in the box. If you put a heavy weight in the back of the car, the front will be higher than normal and even with the use of adjustable headlight angles you may still find yourself dazzling on-coming traffic. You will also have less travel in the suspension down to the bump at the end when you travel on rough surfaces.

The Nivomats are independent of each other. They work by pumping fluid from an internal reservoir to a main reservoir thereby increasing the height of the rear. The bouncing action of the car when travelling gives the pump action. There is a return flow when the car is at rest. You may have noticed that the rear of the car seems lower in the mornings. This is perfectly normal.

You worry about numbskull status - lets see what grade I get having put my humble understanding of these devices down on paper.

By the way, welcome to the world of Volvo. You will already be reaping the benefits of these motors. (I shall now duck!)

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:47   #3
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Nivomats are very good at what they do, which is provide self levelling. They are not too good as 'handling' shocks as they give a soft, comfortable ride. Dont worry about the car sagging a bit, the nivo's take about 100yards ot vehicle movement to work out what ammount of oil to redistribute to level the car.
However, start to worry if, having loaded up the car and driven a bit, the car still sags. This could mean that the nivo's are worn out - an expensive job to replace them as the cheapest I've seen them is £170 + VAT EACH. If I recall, Volvo charge £250 + VAT!!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 00:00   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

G,S & F or Eurocarparts have them for around £110- 135 depending on whether facelift 760 saloon (most expensive) or 740/760/940 Estate.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote