Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need competent welder/fabricator in Manchester-ish

Views : 771

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2014, 15:06   #1
rusty244

Default Need competent welder/fabricator in Manchester-ish

Hi folks,

MOT time again and unfortunately my tame welders (the ones that did an amazing job on my rear arch restoration a few years ago for those of you with long memories) are no longer in business.

A combination of circumstances outside of my control has led this to get to the point of cutting it fine in terms of MOT expiry in a week. I don't need the car desperately fixed by then but it will be a lot harder to drive round and get quotes etc so it makes sense to move fast and at least get it booked in.

I need full outer sill replacement (replacement panel is available) and a couple of minor bits of fabrication doing.

After a number of historic bodges on the car I want the job doing properly by someone who knows what they are doing and has pride in their work, however at the same time I want to pay a realistic cost for the work involved. I basically just need someone competent and honest.

Any recommendations for someone within 50 miles or so drive of Greater Manchester gratefully received.

Thanks!
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 16:21   #2
57RKL

Myself and another old Volvo fan use Alan at AM Autos, Upper Brook St, Stockport SK1. Phone 0161 477 1895. proper old school mechanic who loves the welding jobs. Very honest and resonable and reliable. If of interest, say Richard recommended you.

Richard

Volvo 240 GLT
Volvo 940 Torslanda
Saab 96 V4
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 19:19   #3
rusty244

Thanks Richard, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Tried to see how big the premises is from street view but can't quite figure it out.

Are they geared up to having a lump of car sat being worked on over perhaps a number of days? There is a decent amount of work and it seems to be a barrier to many garages hence them preferring to patch and get the space free for the flow of routine work on other cars rather than get involved in any proper metal surgery.

Last edited by rusty244; Nov 19th, 2014 at 19:21.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2014, 20:50   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

A bit further away but you could ask my old man if he would do it for you.

Mike Brace mike.brace50@lycos.com
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: