Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 XC60 door rattle

Views : 1139

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:12   #1
JGEM

Default 2009 XC60 door rattle

Lately when driving over bumps and uneven surfaces (lots of these on Sydney roads) I've noticed a rattle from the driver's door. The rattle goes away if I press hard against the door from the inside and it feels like a rattle / jiggling from a loose door and seems to emanating from the region of the door catch

I'm mulling over removing the door lining and going for a drive and seeing if the rattle is still there, and trying to get a better fix on exactly where the noise is coming from.

Before I do this, is there any adjustability on the door catch / striker that would make the door close more tightly that I could try first?

Any advice in fault finding rattles appreciated. As my teenage son is fond of scornfully saying, this sort of thing is a "first world problem", but it's annoying nonetheless !

John
2009 XC60 D5 AWD, 84,000 km
Sydney Australia
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 01:59   #2
JGEM

Default 2009 XC60 door rattle update

I've made some progress in detecting where the annoying rattle is coming from - the drivers door lining at the bottom had popped off one of the clips, the one at the bottom rear corner of the door. I pushed it on and it seemed to go back in and the rattle was gone, but only lasted for a hour or so of driving before it popped out and the rattle returned. (Lots of bumps on Sydney roads!)

I've pushed it back in several times since but it always pops out again, so maybe the clip has lost its mojo and needs replacing.

I found this Skandix crowd that seem to have the part I need in stock - will try the local Volvo dealer first but have come to expect no stock, delays and outrageous pricing so normally avoid the dealer

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...panel/1039326/

Anyone else had problems with door clips?

John
2009 XC60 D5 AWD, 85,000km
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 09:00   #3
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEM View Post
Anyone else had problems with door clips?

John
2009 XC60 D5 AWD, 85,000km
Yep, we had one in the passenger side on the MY11 that split in two and started rolling around inside. Dealer removed it during a service and fitted a new one.

Where in Sydney are you? We used to live in Arcadia on the road to Wiseman's Ferry about 10 years back, some of the roads in Sydney were pretty crap then especially in the suburb's and I doubt they have improved much.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 08:28   #4
JGEM

Hi, I'm not far away from your old stamping grounds of Arcadia. I'm in Cherrybrook in northwest Sydney

I emailed closest Volvo dealer with Volvo part numbers on Sunday and asked for price and availability but no response by end of Monday. Maybe tomorrow...

John
2009 Xc60 D5 AWD
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 06:23   #5
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi, I'm not far away from your old stamping grounds of Arcadia. I'm in Cherrybrook in northwest Sydney

I emailed closest Volvo dealer with Volvo part numbers on Sunday and asked for price and availability but no response by end of Monday. Maybe tomorrow...

John
2009 Xc60 D5 AWD
I know it well, ours friends used to live at the end of Purchase Road

I hope you get the part and fix the rattle quickly, rattles annoy the crap out of me as well.
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 19:56   #6
JGEM

As expected, the dealer had no stock and would only sell me the clips in bags of ten. Approx 10 dollars each for one clip and 15 dollars for the other, so approx 250 dollars all up to fix one door rattle. Yikes ! Looks like sourcing clips individually overseas is a better option.

If I extrapolated the clip pricing to other parts it would probably cost several million dollars to buy an XC60 as a heap of spare parts.

Years ago when I had my 940 wagon in Christchurch I was talking to the spare parts guy at the local dealer and he had a case where a wealthy customer had seized the engine in their 940 turbo due to some misadventure (car was just out of warranty) and got a replacement engine flown in from Volvo Australia and by the time the car left the service department it cost the customer around $20,000 on the repair.

Maybe we would start a thread of Most expensive repair / most expensive spare part, although I suspect most of the people here on this forum have cars under warranty or on service plans so are shielded from the harsh reality of Volvo spares and service pricing. It's suckers like me with 5 year old cars with no warranty that help pay for those fancy dealer showrooms !

John
2009 XC60 D5 AWD
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 06:26   #7
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
As expected, the dealer had no stock and would only sell me the clips in bags of ten. Approx 10 dollars each for one clip and 15 dollars for the other, so approx 250 dollars all up to fix one door rattle. Yikes ! Looks like sourcing clips individually overseas is a better option.
Try http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-OEM-...item4d11f05b52 they ship to Aus, total cost to you would be about $10 via PayPal.

One of the things I disliked about Aus was Container Wait, if you wanted something that was not in stock you had to wait for the next container.