Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon problem?

Views : 719

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2015, 13:28   #1
meddyliol

Question Aircon problem?

My V50 seems to have a problem with the Aircon. I have put the fan speed to max via the menu but when I press the Auto button nothing seems to happen. I mainly use the aircon for demisting so it is a little inconvenient at the moment. I can turn the fan speed up manually. The car has about one month left on the Volvo Selekt warranty so need to do something about it soon. I don't want to take it to a volvo garage if there is nothing wrong though. Are there any checks that I can do? I am at the point where I am not sure what is supposed to happen when I press the auto button. Any help would be appreciated. The car has full climate control if that is any help.

Thanks

Brian
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 14:33   #2
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

AFAIK the Auto mode ignores all manual settings for fan speed and direction and lets the climate control manage these by itself according to its air temp and quality sensors, you just set your desired temperature and whether the aircon is on or off.

On mine the demist button turns the aircon on if not already, directs the air at the screen and boosts the fan to some extent. I find I also have to turn the fan up to MAX manually when demisting from cold. It's been a while since I had to demist with a warm engine but I think it's programmed to increases the fan some more as the warmer air comes through after a few minutes.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 17:00   #3
meddyliol

Thanks for that. So mine might be OK then but what is the point of setting the fan speed in the menu?
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 17:28   #4
dunnyd5
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddyliol View Post
Thanks for that. So mine might be OK then but what is the point of setting the fan speed in the menu?

For the occasions when you may wish to override the auto function , The owners handbook should give a fairly comprehensive system operation description well worth reading
dunnyd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 19:13   #5
meddyliol

Sometimes (well quite often) I feel so stupid, I put it down to age. I was pressing the auto button and expected it to demist the windows. After reading the manual (what I should have done before posting stupid questions) I realise that there is a dedicated demist (defrost?) button. Thanks for you help in this.

Brian
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 23:36   #6
dunnyd5
I've Been Banned

[QUOTE=meddyliol;1826059]Sometimes (well quite often) I feel so stupid, I put it down to age. I was pressing the auto button and expected it to demist the windows. After reading the manual (what I should have done before posting stupid questions) I realise that there is a dedicated demist (defrost?) button. Thanks for you help in this.

Brian [/QUO

No such thing as a stupid question Brian ..only stupid answers!

We are all on a learning curve in this life
dunnyd5 is offline   Reply With Quote