Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1994 850 - Unable to start

Views : 2746

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 21:04   #21
madmalky

had 1996 850t5 with similar problem.rpm sensor test fine then old Volvo mechanic told me to go to scrappies and get another one,which I did even though had been tested working started first time never looked back...cost couple o quid from scrappies...just a thought..
madmalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 06:23   #22
KBB
Master Tech

Looking at the diagram You are right the injectors are in parallel so will bank fire simultaneously. And the text you posted also supports that during cranking the injectors will be fired 2 times per crank revolution which they are and then drop down to injector event per revolution.

You have spark at the correct time but how strong is the spark, a good coil should be able to jump a 3cm gap to ground with a strong blue spark. If it only jumps a lesser gap with an orange spark the coil is weak.

When cranking introduce some starting fluid or even better LPG into the intake, if it attempts to start better than it was or starts and runs then it would confirm a fuel delivery issue.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:27   #23
scutyde
Retrofit master

If the engine comes from a V70 afaik the wires in the RPM Sensor need to be swapped as the rpm sensor counts the holes in the V70 and not the notches as in 850.

Cristian
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 17:42   #24
vitos

Hi guys,

sorry for my recent absence, I was out of reach for a while. But now I have some time for this swedish puzzle again. This weekend, I'm going to spend some time with it, so I'll post here if there will be any progress.

To KBB: It really looks like ECU acts normally with controlling injectors. I thought it's weird because of I was counting inject pulses when looking at cam revolution not crankshaft revolution... my fault.

Hard to say how strong the coil is but spark is blue and nice (with spark plug attached). However, I also tried another (but used) coil and symptoms remained the same. Some gas or starter fluid should lay somewhere in my garage, I'll try it too, thanks.

to scutyde: Halo Cristian, vielen dank für deine hilfe! It's real surprise for me, if there were two types of flywheels there realy should be a V70 one. I'll check wiring diagrams and swap those two wires it worths trying.

I'll be back with news on weekend.
vitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 20:18   #25
Alphashooter

Vitos, Did You solve the problem with your car?
I have a similar problem but it only shows up during winter and very intermittent. During coldstart the injectors opens one time, the engine fires up on this first spray but then immediately dies again because there is no more injectorpulses. However I have spark all the time, even during stall. After 3 to 4 attempts the engine always starts and then runs perfect.
I have a 2,5L 10V B5252s 1996

No errorcodes. I suspect a bad cam position sensor.
Alphashooter is offline   Reply With Quote