Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 D5 5 Speed Auto , rev flare around 35mph

Views : 1496

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2015, 19:31   #11
Apoplectic
Large Member

It may be worth checking to see if there is new software available for your TCM. I have an '01 s60 automatic and it likes to flare up while accelerating with me and slam down when coming to a stop. For whatever reason they decided to have a stop shift feature when your car comes to a stop on my year and model that causes problems as the transmission gets a few years on it.

Yours may not have that stop shift feature, but it may have edited the software a bit to fix the issue. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for fresh software.
Apoplectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 19:37   #12
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

I had an S80 D5 03 plate a couple of years ago, and had similair issues.

At traffic lights, while still in D, foot on the brake, it would lurch, pulse the box somewhat, every 5 seconds or so. As the post above says, there is a software update to fix this, I also had the issue of it slamming down into 1st gear.

The real nasty bit though, and it seems to be fairly common in these cars with autoboxes, is the change between 2nd & 3rd, especially when the box is right upto temp. It will sometimes "get lost" in the gearchange for a couple of seconds. The only autobox i would ever touch on a volvo would be 850 or V70 P1 - Later boxes (in my experience) are not so reliable.

Volvos are great cars, sometimes.

Last edited by pillapow; Feb 5th, 2015 at 19:39.
pillapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 20:08   #13
Apoplectic
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillapow View Post
I had an S80 D5 03 plate a couple of years ago, and had similair issues.

At traffic lights, while still in D, foot on the brake, it would lurch, pulse the box somewhat, every 5 seconds or so. As the post above says, there is a software update to fix this, I also had the issue of it slamming down into 1st gear.

The real nasty bit though, and it seems to be fairly common in these cars with autoboxes, is the change between 2nd & 3rd, especially when the box is right upto temp. It will sometimes "get lost" in the gearchange for a couple of seconds. The only autobox i would ever touch on a volvo would be 850 or V70 P1 - Later boxes (in my experience) are not so reliable.
Yeah, had I known that I would have looked harder for a manual (rather hard to find this side of the Atlantic).

Good news is that my shifting problems seem to have been fixed with the new software flash. I feel each shift a little more in the seat, but no more flares or lurches, even at temp.
Apoplectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 10:43   #14
Robert966

In my experience what you describe is normal for the 5 speed AW gearbox. It is described in literature about the box and is called something like limited slip lock up. The idea is when in say 4th or 5th gear at low revs and with low acceleration the box stays locked up but allows a limited amount of gear slip. The way to check is apply a greater amount of acceleration and if this stops the slip then it is fine.
Robert966 is offline   Reply With Quote