Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I was run off the road by a van last night!

Views : 12956

Replies : 130

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 17:02   #21
green van man
Premier Member

Having watched the vidio I see it was all your fault tt82, you left a space in front of you and every Richard head on the road knows that if you leave a space in front of you it is not to alow you to stop before hitting the vehicle in front of you, it is an invitation to anyone who wants to to fill it.
I drive a van, if you don't get an invitation, flash of the headlights or some other sign you don't pull over into that gap in queing traffic like that, I get so ****ed off with the car drivers who do it to me, no thought of how I am to stop near 5 tonnes of vehicle before hitting them and if I did the whiplash claim would be in before I'd got out the van.
Halfrauds have a half price sale on at the moment, think a dash cam is on tomorrows shopping list.
Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 17:13   #22
owyn
Premier Member

You should put the footage in front of the police, let them decide. It appears the van drivers on here think it's perfectly fine. Personally it boils my blood as it's driving like this that causes jams in the first place.

I'm sure if the OP reviews what happened and really reflected on it I'm sure you can decide that the move from the van could be spotted. That however, is with 100% hindsight and 100% concentration which can't be reasonably expected of an actual human. The rules of the road are there to protect people like this and this van driver let himself down there!
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 20:28   #23
tt82
Forum Support Team

Just so you all know, I've had an incident free journey to Middlesbrough. Time for a few beers!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 20:58   #24
volvo always
Premier Member

Unfortunately I drive a works Peugeot partner and I signalled to pull back into the nearside lane on a motorway, checking my nearside mirror constantly and gradually started to move into lane one, when I suddenly saw a car right alongside in my blind spot! Pulled back fully into lane 2.

I find some vans have terrible mirrors and have blind spots

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 21:25   #25
850Chris
Premier Member

Some interesting views on here over this and glad you're okay and hopefully just minor damage to your (rather gorgeous) V70.

Just to throw something into the mix, I sometimes find that with the dipped lights on (i.e day running lights), as you go over bumps in the road or the car pitches as you brake / accelerate, other drivers can mistakingly think you're flashing them.

The van driver has his indicator on. Is it possible he wrongly thought you flashed him out?

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 21:58   #26
Rooster
Speed freak

If you watch the video from the start the van can be seen flying down the inside of the traffic, unsure if hes on a sliproad or not then moving from where he is across the lanes.

The view is blocked by the other white van of him moving into inside land but he can be seen moving from inside to middle and he is indicating,

I carn't see your bonnet or know how much zooms on camera but abit of anticipation might have avoidied that,

Like i got told on my motorcycle training it doesn't matter who cut you up or knocked you off its usually you that can avoid it,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 22:00   #27
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
. If I can keep the insurers out of it then it stop my premiums going up next year as well. Also I don't do the whole compo thing as it just puts everybody's insurance up
Disregarding the rights and wrongs, as I can't view the clip...

After any accident, but particularly in this case, I'd caution against 'keeping the insurers out of it'. Having already reported it to Police, and to the other party, as well as posting on social media, there is a very good chance the insurers will find out anyway, and may already know.

As long as you don't claim on your own policy, whilst they might load next year's premium based on their perception of increased risk (what the video shows?), it sounds unlikely to me based on description comments. But if you don't formally disclose it then, in the event of some unrelated claim in future, they may find it on the shared databases and class it as 'non-disclosure' resulting in reduced payout.

Worse, in addition to reduced payout, they may also 'cancel' the policy for non-disclosure. With that on your record you may find it expensive and very difficult to find any kind of insurance ever again, be it car insurance, house insurance, whatever...

Sorry that's unlikely to make you feel better, but somebody had to point it out.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 22:29   #28
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Like i got told on my motorcycle training it doesn't matter who cut you up or knocked you off its usually you that can avoid it,
Repeat, not making any judgement of this incident as I can't view the clip, but that has always been my view.

My own only significant crunch in recent decades was when an oncoming car spun across in front of me on a slippery bend, there were a few brief clicks of ABS as I hit the brakes before I T-boned him. Nobody badly injured, but both cars (mine a newish Saab) were spectacularly written off.

Everybody said 'not my fault'. His insurance paid the lot, even a nice 520 loan car for me for four weeks. Police in attendance gave the other guy a grilling but hardly even bothered to take a statement from me, 'it was obvious what had happened' they said.

Even so, I have spent many a day wondering what I could have done to avoid it? It is important to me that I find some answers as these things do happen, and might happen to me again, in which case who knows... next time, I might cope better!
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 22:44   #29
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Bad driving from the van but you had plenty of time to avoid, almost looks like you sped up to stop him getting in. If i were you i wouldn't be showing that video to the police.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 23:05   #30
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Double post.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote