Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What will £800-1000 get me ?

Views : 791

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 12:43   #1
34 and aging

Default What will £800-1000 get me ?

Hi
I am a new member have been looking at the forums for a few weeks, my wife gets her bonus next week not sure exactly how much she'll get, but I will be allocated at least £800-1000. ( More if my wife decides to be generous )
What I need / want in order of preference is a ;
V70
S60
S80
and lastly a V40.
would prefer a diesel model but petro is reasonablle at the moment so either will do.
My wife is returning to work off maternity leave in about 5 weeks, we,ve been surviving on one car my 2013 renault clio ( soon to be claimed by my wife as she doesn't want a big car ), which is great, but is completely impractical as i found out on a trip to Centre parcs last month.
I did have a Mondeo which unfortunately passed away, I want a car with the same or better practicality and comfort.
I would be verygrateful for anyone opinion on what I should expect for my budget as I dont want to have unrealistic expectation.
Thanks in advance.
34 and aging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 09:43   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

That sort of budget would get you a decent series 1 V70 (P to W reg). Look for one with the 2.5 (badged 2.4 on some cars) 10v 140bhp engine. Great car all round.

What about an S70? Huge boot, folding rear seats, supreme comfort, a truly great car. Every bit as good and almost as versatile as a V70, but certainly available for less dosh.

S60 is a bit cramped in the back, and at that budget you'd be looking at the bottom end of the market.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 10:16   #3
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 and aging View Post
Hi
I am a new member have been looking at the forums for a few weeks, my wife gets her bonus next week not sure exactly how much she'll get, but I will be allocated at least £800-1000. ( More if my wife decides to be generous )
What I need / want in order of preference is a ;
V70
S60
S80
and lastly a V40.
would prefer a diesel model but petro is reasonablle at the moment so either will do.
My wife is returning to work off maternity leave in about 5 weeks, we,ve been surviving on one car my 2013 renault clio ( soon to be claimed by my wife as she doesn't want a big car ), which is great, but is completely impractical as i found out on a trip to Centre parcs last month.
I did have a Mondeo which unfortunately passed away, I want a car with the same or better practicality and comfort.
I would be verygrateful for anyone opinion on what I should expect for my budget as I dont want to have unrealistic expectation.
Thanks in advance.

Yes quite a few decent s70 s appear for sale on ebay and a lot only sell for around 500. Can handle high miles easily.
ALBERT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ALBERT10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 10:22   #4
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
That sort of budget would get you a decent series 1 V70 (P to W reg). Look for one with the 2.5 (badged 2.4 on some cars) 10v 140bhp engine. Great car all round.

What about an S70? Huge boot, folding rear seats, supreme comfort, a truly great car. Every bit as good and almost as versatile as a V70, but certainly available for less dosh.

S60 is a bit cramped in the back, and at that budget you'd be looking at the bottom end of the market.

Jack
s70 a good choice. s70 has to be a better choice than the s80? Don't have personal experience of the s80, but s70 seems to be far more reliable and a proper volvo. s80 seem to be prone to lot of faults, you see a lot of s80's on ebay spares or repairs.

Not many s70 s will sell for as much as 800-1000 these days.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 12:37   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

You should have a lot of choice for the ammount your're thinking of spending.

Keep your eyes peeled on the sales sections on here. Also quite a few pop up on the FB Volvo pages.

carsandclassics web site another good source.

I got my 96' 850 for 850 in 2009. My 2004 V70 was 1500 in 2013. Just to give an idea....
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 18:21   #6
Foeux

To a large degree, time will be your limiting factor.

You will find a decent enough 850 or V70 TDI for that money eventually.

You could also find an 850 or V70 T5 for that money eventually.

As petrol is cheap, I would say get a T5 and enjoy it while you can. It can always be sold or swapped for a non-turbo petrol or a TDI at a later date.

I drive a pink (formerly burgundy) V70 TDI and love it. However, I drove a pal's T5 the other day and now I need one of those...

From experience, spend your money on one that has a full MOT and as few niggles as possible. Volvos are not that cheap to maintain when they come of age.
Foeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 19:17   #7
Blue 8
Premier Member

Petrol is cheap? Where?

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 01:18   #8
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post

As petrol is cheap, I would say get a T5 and enjoy it while you can. It can always be sold or swapped for a non-turbo petrol or a TDI at a later date.

I drive a pink (formerly burgundy) V70 TDI and love it. However, I drove a pal's T5 the other day and now I need one of those...

From experience, spend your money on one that has a full MOT and as few niggles as possible. Volvos are not that cheap to maintain when they come of age.
Always find it strange those sellers on ebay that sell cars just out of MOT and are sure it will pass no problem but just haven't had time to take it for MOT.

Old car without MOT is just worth scrap money in reality as you have no idea what it might fail on.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 03:46   #9
ALBERT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post

I think to maintain old cars you need to source parts yourself and find a cheap garage to fit them. Garages seem to charge a huge markup on parts and oil which compared to what you could buy them for yourself for. You can see this for yourself on the Eurocarparts invoices, u can see what the RRP prices for the different parts should be. The garages probably charge the RRP price and pocket the difference.