Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 upgrades

Views : 1492

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2015, 21:18   #11
~Goose~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
A cheaper option is the solid 228mm plate flywheel with sachs performance cover plate. Just fitted this to the 360 turbo, feels easy enough. Not as light as the ttv and still expensive at £280 odd just for the cover.
Hmm, was thinking more the TTV as it seems to be an easier solution with the M90 gearbox using the 850r clutch which can take more power anyway?
At least that's what I was thinking.

Isn't the TTV flywheel a similar price to that anyway?
Cromlech - how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
There is another thread on bushes and steering vagueness but I'd recommend changing ball joints and hubs.

The front rear radius and inner suspension bushes seem to last forever but the spaceships and arm recesses are prone to corrosion. Shocks must be changed and rear springs to match non-nivomats. I have the bilsteins sports and cobra lowering springs all round. Fronts are expensive.
Where did you get your shocks and springs from?
Only place I can find is eBay and the page keeps freezing on me, £500 for the bilstein b6 shocks with no springs from what I can see.
Surely someone does them cheaper than that?

If I'm going to change the suspension I may aswell do as many of the bushes as I can while it's all off.

I need to start getting an idea on what I'm going to be spending.
Finally should be getting some money in the next month or so I've been owed for ages.
After spending all my spare money on the house for the past year I'm going to put a good chunk into the car to get it how I'd like.
~Goose~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 21:29   #12
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

Quite challenging to find cheap Bilsteins. There's debate as to what's "better" but I priced up some Koni's for £360 from a german store.

Gaz is another alternative.
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 10:27   #13
crogthomas
Master Member

There are many options available to you to 'improve' the suspension of the 940.

Because I'm bored, these are the main ones:

Damper and spring options:
All standard new parts (will probably make quite a noticable difference over 100k mile stuff).
A set of lowering springs of your choice plus Bilstein or Koni dampers.
A Suspension kit from ClassicSwede/Gaz.
Suspension kit from Chassit SE (http://www.europeantuningshop.nl/ind...oduct_id=14985)
Coilovers from ClassicSwede, Kaplhenke or RetroTurbo.

Anti-roll bar options:
Bigger standard bars if you don't already have them.
Bracket to fit double rear anti-roll bars.
IPD
Whiteline
Ultraracing
Ford Ranger front 27mm?

Castermod: adding spacers to the front control arm stay to increase camber. A modification used by the factory on certain vehicles.
Cambermod: moving the top mount bolts to add negative camber. Again a factory approved modification, mainly to reduce tyre wear.

Upper and lower Braces to stiffen the chassis to allow the suspension to do it's work properly.

Polybushes as you've already noted.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 20:38   #14
TonyS9
Premier Member

Got mine quite a few years back, europerformace or something. Spent about £500 on the shocks and springs, £200 on the front shocks alone.

The 'everlasting' bushes are also need a press to change, ball joints are straight forward, does not matter a huge amount to change them later. Track rods end can be tough to crack off the lock nuts.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 21:14   #15
Cromlech

I think it was £290 for the TTV flywheel IIRC mate.
Cromlech is offline   Reply With Quote