Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For sale 1995 M reg 940 2.3 SE non-turbo manual

Views : 1021

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2015, 20:27   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default For sale 1995 M reg 940 2.3 SE non-turbo manual

I’ve just had one of our two 940 estates MOT’d and it’s failed (the MOT expires on Tues 14th July) and as I was going to sell it after the MOT I don’t really want to spend to get the work done, so I’m selling it now ‘as is’. (pics on the next post)

My asking price is £300.00 but I’m quite flexible as I’d rather sell it to someone who can do the work themselves and keep it on the road. Before anyone asks I’m not interested in breaking it for parts, even though, if you read on, you’ll see it’s had a fair few items replaced over the years, so that might be an option for someone else on here.

The car’s a 1995 M reg 940 2.3 SE non-turbo manual. The mileage is currently 275,500 which will increase slightly as it's still in use this weekend and has a service history and file of receipts to indicate this mileage is correct.

It was registered on 14th February 1995 and the second owner purchased the car on 28th July 1995 and owned it for the next 17 1/2 years until February 2013 when I purchased it.

For last year’s MOT I had its rear Nivomats replaced by a full set of new springs & dampers and there was a small piece of welding required near/below the PSR seat. All in that cost £243.00

It had passed the previous MOT for me first time but this time there’s been some things that require dealing with:

(1) A chip on the windscreen’s spread too far and it requires a new screen (National Windscreen had one for £115+vat fitted)
(2) Nearside inner lower suspension arm ball joint dust cover requires replacing
(3) Nearside outer front lower suspension arm as excessive play in a ball joint
(4) There’s a leak in the exhaust – I repaired the curve over the back axle but it’s not sealed well enough at the moment
(5) One of the tyres needs replacing. Never realised; been driving to London & back every fortnight and hadn’t noticed it as it’s on the inner edge.

The tester had also advised not all the dash lights illuminate. The central ones do but those on the edge of the tachometer are dead – it was a summer job that I hadn’t as yet tackled.

FYI the CO passed at 0.19% and the HC passed at 38 ppm

Other than the MOT work there are only 2 things that I’m aware of that the new owner might want to deal with at some stage:

(1) The heater valve in the footwell weeps slightly. It was like this when purchased When I first noticed it I removed the drivers footwell carpet and sound deadening to dry them out and then simply kept them out. It's just something I had on my to-do list for the Summer and hadn't got round to dealing with.

(2) The rad has a weep, probably from the plastic top neck area where the top hose goes in. Been there for a while and not got worse

It comes with a stamped Volvo service history from 1995 to 2004 at 146,972 and a further full receipted history from 2004 to 2013 with invoices to reflect non-franchised service for this period.

In addition to the usual services it has had various non-service components replaced as and when necessary, These include:

12 / 12 / 2008 Replacement battery £ 45.83
16 / 12 / 2009 206,286 Replacement starter motor £157.47
14 / 01 / 2010 214,499 Full exhaust and catalytic convertor £376.00
17 / 01 / 2010 215,832 New fuel pump and tank unit £388.57
13 / 12 / 2010 225,788 Replacement alternator £193.76
07 / 07 / 2011 233,173 Full service including fr & rr brake pads £531.88
27 / 07 / 2011 233,600 New clutch and oil seal £377.27
13 / 12 / 2011 237,206 Changed cam belt, cam shaft seal and cam gear £210.00

The cost of the above items exceeds £2,200 and I'm not going to list all the other service related invoices as there's a lot of items.

The metallic blue paintwork is in reasonable condition but there are a couple of scratches on the driver-side rear near the light unit . Not big but they’re there. The paint's also been worn thinner behind the driver's door handle from use. Not big issues but worthy of note.

There are, as you will appreciate, some age related marks in a few places; she’s about 20 years old after-all.

It did also have two pieces of welding to the rear outer sills for its MOT in 2012 but that's all I can find when looking at the previous MOT reports which I have printed from the DVLA website - this data is included with the service history.

The interior's in good condition. The trim along the door tops has crinkled but that often seems to happen after a while. We don't smoke and neither did the previous owner so the car doesn't have any cigarette smells inside.

It does have the arm-rest to cover the central storage box, however, you'll notice from the pictures that I have removed this so that our children could put their items in there from the rear. Refitting the arm-rest is simple enough and all the brackets are intact but I find it easier with it removed and to not have the cover sticking up all the time.

It is a SE spec and to confirm has the following trim level:

· metallic dark blue paintwork
· colour coded bumpers
· grey cloth interior
· 4 x winter plastic footwell mats
· front and rear electric windows
· tinted windows
· electric tilt and slide glass sunroof with retractable sun-blind
· roof-rails
· twin front heated front seats
· electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
· alloy wheels, including spare
· airbag in steering wheel
· PAS
· ABS
· SIPS side impact protection system
· 3 diagonal rear seat belts
· lift-up child seat in the rear armrest
· built in front fog/driving lamps
· key operated central locking
· front seat lumbar supports
· 4 speed fan / cooling system
· heated rear window and wiper
· headlamp wash-wipers – 1 missing – see pic
· 4 Volvo keys - 2 x drivers, 1 x service and 1 x petrol cap
· owners glovebox handbooks
· toolkit
· jack, brace and spare tyre with alloy wheel
· it has never had a tow bar fitted
· the radio on the original stereo works but the display has gone so changing channels, whilst possible, is a bit hit and miss – The cassette won’t play tapes but I’ve wired a 3.5 mm lead to the cassette head so you can connect an mp3’s if you wish.
· it comes without the 7 seat conversion so there's even more space to hide items away when you park up

I was going to sell post MOT but I don’t feel comfortable spending on the MOT to then sell it straight away thereafter.

We live in central Peterborough (PE1) and I am happy for someone to come to view the car at a time convenient to us both. If it helps I can collect the you from Peterborough BR station.

I have tried my best with this description, however, if you want further details or pics or want to view, let me know.

Last edited by CharlesStevenson; Jul 10th, 2015 at 21:00.
CharlesStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 20:31   #2
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-2.jpg (159.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 02-2.jpg (204.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 03-2.jpg (197.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 04-2.jpg (172.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 05-2.jpg (204.2 KB, 41 views)
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 20:32   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

some more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-2.jpg (198.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 07-2.jpg (157.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 08-2.jpg (194.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 09-2.jpg (207.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 10-2.jpg (193.6 KB, 23 views)
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 20:33   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

and a few more ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-2.jpg (167.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 12-2.jpg (172.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 13-2.jpg (178.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 14-2.jpg (174.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 15-2.jpg (185.5 KB, 25 views)
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 20:33   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

last few pics ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16-2.jpg (173.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 17-2.jpg (201.8 KB, 36 views)
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 10:44   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default car still for sale

Bump.

I listed my car on ebay for the month, had a couple of offers and a couple slightly better to go back to but nobody on here appears interested, at least via the PM's at least.

Space etc means if I don't get a sale, it's going to have to go to the great rest-home in the sky.

I listed it at asking £300, however, that's quite flexible and was simply a starting point since if you don't ask you don't get.

Offers considered.
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 13:47   #7
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Bump

Just been to the local salvage / end of life plant and the weighed in value of the Volvo is going to be around £95 based upon the weight of my wife's one.

So if anyone's interested in purchasing the car 'as is' for around that price I'd rather sell to someone who can use the parts/break the car and keep the parts in use.

All offers considered - else I'll be scrapping her as space options don't dictate long-term storage here.

PM me if you're interested - she's totally driveable but w/o MOT.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2015, 16:50   #8
Jonny5isalive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
Bump

Just been to the local salvage / end of life plant and the weighed in value of the Volvo is going to be around £95 based upon the weight of my wife's one.

So if anyone's interested in purchasing the car 'as is' for around that price I'd rather sell to someone who can use the parts/break the car and keep the parts in use.

All offers considered - else I'll be scrapping her as space options don't dictate long-term storage here.

PM me if you're interested - she's totally driveable but w/o MOT.
Have you had any joy selling your car? There must be someone out there who can save it from the scrappy...
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 23:46   #9
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

sold to a salvage or scrapper 2 weeks ago - no offers from here and no space to store it - so it's gone.