Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Elddis Typhoon GTX - few things done

Views : 1328

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 19:39   #1
lukas430000

Default Elddis Typhoon GTX - few things done

Hello All

Just done a few thing in My van. She isn't a new girl but serves well last two years. I am running a 2008 s80 2.0d with 1991 Elddis Typhoo GTX setup which is perfect for me.
Using the last summer weekend and a bit of sun(scottish sun hehe) decided to pull her from storage and have a look on thing needed to be done.
First was a leaky carver cascade. So manged to take it off the van and strip it. Scared like hell(never done it before) I have removed it from it's recess and stripped apart. What I had in mind was that could be a corroded tie rod but was just a loose seal. The big nut on the immersion side loosened itself and the big seal on the burner side did not hold up. So whilst it was opened I cleaned it because it was full of gunk. Filters used in water inlet was of active carbon in bag type so some of the black stuff made it's way inside the cylinder. With that finished and boiler back in it's rightful place i decided to start tackling a stereo fitting.
Foun suitable socket with 12v supply and armored with plug and cable from ebay started this. I have run cable under the van attached to the rest of the cables and pipes and found a place for headunit just under the zig unit.
Hmmm now measured the gap needed and cut the hole. Fitted stereo holder and it was a perfect fit.

So with that in place fitted stereo. It's an old jvc unit but plays mp3 and it is better than a phone or small portable radio.

[IMG][/IMG]

Holes above are where the coat hanger was so need to cover them somehow. But that later.

Runa cables at the back of unit. Managed to sorce an digital aerial which fit in the cupboard in bathroom and it's invisible during a normal use.

[IMG][/IMG]

After all that- and You need to excuse me but I know that I heve ruined the estheatics of the van I have fitted speakers. Speakers were £5 off ebay so I cannot grumble. I am planning to change them in near future so no slagging off hehe

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It does play well I know it does not have a look but I will change speaker for more suitable ones and more discreet.

Last but not least i have fitted the third brake light to the outside. Sealed and connected. Wires run in the insert on the joints of caravan so sealed and waterproof....

[IMG][/IMG]

Still few thing to be done. I want to change all the bulbs to low wattage led ones and in near future change rear lights to full led ones. Maybe a thing of a taste but I like them:

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for long and boring story but all done by myself so I am a bit proud of myself hehe

Hope You like it...
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 23:15   #2
wagonwheels

Not sure about the speakers but nice install of the stereo.I don't have the skills or balls to do it to mine.A set of 6x9s would probably go better but im sure that will be on your list.
The rear lights look interesting too, not seen them before but like you I've slowly been moving to LEDs on my van.
wagonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wagonwheels For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 20:57   #3
lukas430000

Thanks wagonwheels

Yes speakers are the first thing I will change. For now they play sounds which was a bit PITA. I am surfing the web for suitable replacement like:

or:

If it comes to rear leds I know that it is not to everybody taste but i like them. Now I need to find holders or brackets for them. if not i will try tu manufacture some. Need to find something because they are more shallow then old ones and do not fit correctly which is a bit of a shame....
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 18:52   #4
hennabm

Looks a good job on the stereo

I have an 83 Elldis Mistral GT with a stereo in. The speakers on mine are right at the front and look very much like the ones in the top of the two pictures posted.

The van is equipped with a co-ax but for a better signal I have a small car (rubber) aerial that fits inside the cupboard of the stereo and that's it.

Happy travelling with your Elldis
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 20:49   #5
lukas430000

Hello hennabm

I do not wanted to drill the walls. My aerial is cheap and cheerful boosted one from china. As of for now it is not amplified and not 12V supplied. Signal is very good for now. But it can be done because wires are there and only need connected.

And yes speakers will be changed