Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying my first S40

Views : 861

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2015, 19:55   #1
Cambi

Default Buying my first S40

I am currently in the process of searching for a S40,looking at a range between 55 plate and 58 really.

I'm interested to hear your guys experiences and recommendations for the car,I'm not sure whether to go petrol or diesel,any problems with either I should take into account before buying.

Cheers
Atb
Craig
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 23:31   #2
GazzR

I own a 09 2.0d R design S40, i have had it almost a year and is currently on 83000 miles and is wearing its miles well, only faults i have had which are common on the 2.0d have been the alternator needed replacing and throttle body needed replacing both fairly simple jobs. Mine drives really well and is a great long distance driver, comfy and well built, mine leather seats which in the summer can make it quite hot inside and during the winter very cold buti have heated front seats which warm up quite fast, the rear leg room can be tight if front seats are far back and with it being a saloon the boot isnt the most practical, a v50 estate would be a better choice if your after a more practical boot. The 2.0d pulls ok but the d5 is the more powerful engine of the diesels if your after a powerful diesel with a nice noise, im having my 2.0d remapped which will make it alot more powerful and slightly better mpg, hope this helps. Regards Garry

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V
GazzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 09:35   #3
sannesley

I have a early 2010 S40 1.6 Drive model, diesel. I've only had it about 4 months but I can't fault the car. The build quality is really good. The seats are the most comfortable in any car I've owned. I don't have a trip computer but by my calculations I can manage around 60 miles to the gallon on urban driving.

As GazzR says the saloon version makes the boot a little impractical but nothing you can't get used to, although I do miss the rear wiper for clearing the rear windows in the mornings.

One thing I would say is check if the car has a wet DPF which has associated service intervals and costs to be aware of.
sannesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 10:09   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

Thumbs up Good choice!!

Im on my second S40, not for a bad reason. I had an S40 2.0D Rdesign when i needed high mpg but commute less so I now have a fwd T5.

Great cars ... not much to say but you need to make sure they have been looked after properly and services well. clue is all in the service records really, by the dealer.

For a petrol all I can say is look out for any whining sounds when accelerating (Turbo issues), just means the previous guy didnt put the right oil in or treat it right

again with the diesel or could be on both, turn the car on and make sure you can hear any tapping noises or anything coming from the engine bay .... again wrong oil put in.

if they are looked after well then you cant really go wrong, they are bullet proof. buy one thats been treated badly and run on a budget .... then its going to be expensive.

if you dont do a lot of mileage ... I recommend T5, you have the comfort and the speed
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 10:56   #5
GazzR

[QUOTE=sannesley;1995258]As GazzR says the saloon version makes the boot a little impractical but nothing you can't get used to, although I do miss the rear wiper for clearing the rear windows in the mornings./QUOTE]

A little tip for the rear window, put some rainx on and it soon clears once you drive.

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V
GazzR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GazzR For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 19:21   #6
Cambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Im on my second S40, not for a bad reason. I had an S40 2.0D Rdesign when i needed high mpg but commute less so I now have a fwd T5.

Great cars ... not much to say but you need to make sure they have been looked after properly and services well. clue is all in the service records really, by the dealer.

For a petrol all I can say is look out for any whining sounds when accelerating (Turbo issues), just means the previous guy didnt put the right oil in or treat it right

again with the diesel or could be on both, turn the car on and make sure you can hear any tapping noises or anything coming from the engine bay .... again wrong oil put in.

if they are looked after well then you cant really go wrong, they are bullet proof. buy one thats been treated badly and run on a budget .... then its going to be expensive.

if you dont do a lot of mileage ... I recommend T5, you have the comfort and the speed
So should I be looking for full history serviced by volvo,is that what yourbsaying by dealer.I think I will be going for a 2.0l diesel after looking at what's out there.

But it won't be one as recent as a 09 as my budget won't stretch that far,but I am looking for a really well looked after car,fsh is a must,just wondering if mileage is a major issue with the diesels,most I have seen in my budget are in an around 100k bar the odd one here and there,iv got 3500 give or take.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 20:30   #7
Al1baly

I bought a 2011 s40 r design d2 in August from a main Volvo dealer for £9000 with 42000 miles and full Volvo service history and have been very pleased with it. It drives like a new car and has ample performance once on the move and averages 56.5 mpg, admittedly I miss the instant acceleration of my previous 2.0tdi golf but this is much nicer to drive and I hope to have it for a long time. Good luck
Al1baly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 15:12   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh, I dont know about others but I definitely look to see how often the car has been services with the dealers rather than a local garage. Definitely check the service records making sure all the usual things like oil etc have all been changed at the correct times.

To me if a local garage or smaller one services the car frequently ... it just tells me that it has been run on a budget (Check the tyres, they are usually a good sign as well to see if they have just slapped some cheap rubbish on)

I have had both 2.0d and T5 Petrol and had problems with both ... all due to a local non dealer garage servicing the vehicle and putting in wrong oil. The diesel had to have a new engine and the petrol had to have a new turbo (Luckily all covered under warranty)

I would just check that that car has been looked after, the service records look good ... there arent any noises when idling (Rattling etc)

The S40 is a really nice car, but like all cars 2nd they need to be treated right.

The other thing is how much mileage are you going to be doing ... is a diesel really what you want? I used to think diesel was the way ... but they are just a waste really. They cost more for any work done, and if you dont rag a petrol around .... you would still get pretty good mpg. I got my T5 and I just drive it a bit slower here and there .... still do roughly the same mileage and doesnt cost that much more (and I only fill it up with the good stuff) ... petrols are so much nicer to drive as well.

A lot of people hate them but for me its been worth getting that car insurance for about a year just to cover yourself if anything does happen. then atleast you know if anything goes bad ... its covered. Then after all that, if you treat it right ... everything should be fine. usually only a couple hundred extra.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 09:09   #9
Cambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Yeh, I dont know about others but I definitely look to see how often the car has been services with the dealers rather than a local garage. Definitely check the service records making sure all the usual things like oil etc have all been changed at the correct times.

To me if a local garage or smaller one services the car frequently ... it just tells me that it has been run on a budget (Check the tyres, they are usually a good sign as well to see if they have just slapped some cheap rubbish on)

I have had both 2.0d and T5 Petrol and had problems with both ... all due to a local non dealer garage servicing the vehicle and putting in wrong oil. The diesel had to have a new engine and the petrol had to have a new turbo (Luckily all covered under warranty)

I would just check that that car has been looked after, the service records look good ... there arent any noises when idling (Rattling etc)

The S40 is a really nice car, but like all cars 2nd they need to be treated right.

The other thing is how much mileage are you going to be doing ... is a diesel really what you want? I used to think diesel was the way ... but they are just a waste really. They cost more for any work done, and if you dont rag a petrol around .... you would still get pretty good mpg. I got my T5 and I just drive it a bit slower here and there .... still do roughly the same mileage and doesnt cost that much more (and I only fill it up with the good stuff) ... petrols are so much nicer to drive as well.

A lot of people hate them but for me its been worth getting that car insurance for about a year just to cover yourself if anything does happen. then atleast you know if anything goes bad ... its covered. Then after all that, if you treat it right ... everything should be fine. usually only a couple hundred extra.
Im still undecided on petrol or diesel,I don't do many miles probably 6000 a year maximum.

I have been worrying about the high repair costs with diesel and not to mention petrols are cheaper to buy in the first place,with much less mileage on them.

Thays got me thinking now,thanks for the post really good advice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cambi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 08:36   #10
iainmd

At 6,000 a year a diesel's surely a false economy. The higher price of purchase and servicing will never result in a return of your investment.

Petrol sounds like the way forward.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post: