Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 2.3 - what to look out for?

Views : 504

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 18:16   #1
gRoberts

Default V70 T5 2.3 - what to look out for?

Hey all,

My next door neighbour dabbles in buying buggered up cars, fixes them up and sell for a profit.

A lovely (needs some tlc) red 98 t5 saloon with R kit on.

Not all that clued up on these but defiantly interested as it's had loads done and he's only wanting £1000 for it.

The only immediately noticeable things are:

- steering pump or aux belt slip when full lock.
- may have heard a slight misfire but could be the usual idle note.
- ABS light

Warms up fine and asides from the above, sounds pretty damn nice.

Will be taking it out for a test drive soon but thought I'd do some homework first.

Cheers
gRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 20:35   #2
bournricha
bournricha

Default v70?

The v70 is the estate version (v for versatility ),so what you have I think is a s70 t5.
They can be marvellous cars with electric performance .
I have had an 855 t5 the previous model among other Volvos and I do like your neighbour with them as a hobby .
The belt may slip a little if held on full lock ,this is because the pump is being overstrained by holding it on full lock .you are advised to come back a little from full lock to avoid this strain .
Don,t know about the misfire ,could only really tell by reading its codes .I think at this date it will have an "OBD2"socket somewhere near the ash tray in the console .But it is probably not really Obd 2 compliant (onboard diagnostic ) but has to be read by the VOL-FCR system,which is a kind of in between system .You can read these cars with an Led flash code reader ,which you can make yourself from instructions on this forum ,but it takes a bit of practice to use .
The ABS light on is a can of worms .There are many ,many reasons why this is on .But it cannot pass a test with this light indicating a malfunction .
Another common condition on these cars is smoke issuing from dipstick pipe ,which usually can be cured by cleaning /replacing the crankcase ventilation system .
As to value ,it takes a good one to make £1000,and one without a new test ,and with the Abs light on cannot be worth £1000 .For comparison I bought one with faults for £350 and sold it with a new test for £650 .
So must have new test and must have no faults lights showing .ABS faults can take time ,patience and knowledge to fix and will probably /certainly need codes read by correct reader (VOL-FCR).Almost no garages will have this reader as it was ,awkwardly, specific to that make and those two or three years .Sorry to be a wet blanket.
The sotware for Vol-FCR costs about £100 for a kosher version and of course is only worth spending if you are going to specialize in this type and date of car ,unless you can find a friend nearby who has got it .The flash reader does work and only costs 85p!But your neighbour needs to fix the abs before any talk of a sale .

Last edited by bournricha; Nov 2nd, 2015 at 23:32. Reason: typos,addition
bournricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 22:55   #3
bournricha
bournricha

Default t5 prices

Look on the 850/70 sales section of this forum eg a good c70 t5 in Glasgow ,no faults and £850
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 05:11   #4
PNuT
MaDMaN

Possibly too little info!

I have seen a lot of people list 98 cars that are actually 99 model cars & it changes a lot!

If you get some picture I am sure it will be easier to comment
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 09:39   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Have a look at the buyer's guide in the Sales section.