Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding a new socket & move aux

Views : 2247

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2016, 14:23   #11
benfredlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymez83 View Post
I wouldn't imagine the aux is fibre and it still doesn't help with the power. I do a lot of driving around Devon and I'm not from down here so I'm always using the satnav.

Cheers all the same.
i too live in devon! and know how you feel! i dont have a problem with my galaxy's gps signal, have a look at your location settings, make sure its allowed to use mobile signal as well. to have a GPS only lock can be unreliable in devon.
benfredlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 14:41   #12
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfredlive View Post
i too live in devon! and know how you feel! i dont have a problem with my galaxy's gps signal, have a look at your location settings, make sure its allowed to use mobile signal as well. to have a GPS only lock can be unreliable in devon.
Just to wade in with my own 2 pence. I used to live in Devon and my GPS was always fine when I had signal. Getting the signal was the problem!!! All on iphone for me though.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 14:58   #13
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymez83 View Post
. Has anyone experience with adding an additional socket?

Thanks again,
James
I know it's been discussed on here before. Although it would seem to be a simple thing it appears it can become way complicated and you will defo have to get the right leads (that's complicated also). These electrical systems don't like to be messed with, so my advice is plenty of research.
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 14:59   #14
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
James if you're looking for an aux - BT receiver there was a thread on hot uk deals today about them. See below. Think there was a decent one linked in the comments too for about £23. Just a thought.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/aux-...-11-99-2378739
Deals expired already
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 10:08   #15
Mcpx

Have you tried your phone mounted on the air vents? More secure and out of the way, just got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z620MW...EHDC4OCU&psc=1 and its rock solid.

I have my phone on the drivers side air vent, above the light switches on my pre-facelift 07 V50, connected to the Volvo hands free kit (Motorola one) and an aftermarket Bluetooth reciever for music and the nice sat nav lady.

The Bluetooth module is wired in under the console so is completely invisible. I used a headphone splitter to plug it into the aux socket so can still plug in other devices if need be.

Power is pretty simple, I just added another cigarette lighter socket under the centre console, taking power from the existing one, and plugged a normal car charger into it. The power connection is not difficult, but if you are not confident with electrics or soldering stuff then you can just unplug the existing socket and plug in the hidden one, leaving the existing socket dead. From there it is pretty easy to route the cable under the steering wheel and out of the side below the light switches. On my car the trim is pretty flexible so I can just pull the lead out when I need it then feed it back in and out of the way when I don't. All neat and tidy.

Next job is swapping the rear passenger cigarette socket for a USB power point and an aux in socket.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 10:14   #16
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
Have you tried your phone mounted on the air vents? More secure and out of the way, just got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z620MW...EHDC4OCU&psc=1 and its rock solid.

I have my phone on the drivers side air vent, above the light switches on my pre-facelift 07 V50...
I am constantly in awe of you elec minded guys. That sounds like a whole new world which I just do not have the capabilities for. Who even figures out you can do these things? Like who is the first person to start pulling wires and stuff out their car to attempt this stuff? Gives me the jeebies just thinking about it.

Bravo gents.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 11:11   #17
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
I am constantly in awe of you elec minded guys. That sounds like a whole new world which I just do not have the capabilities for. Who even figures out you can do these things? Like who is the first person to start pulling wires and stuff out their car to attempt this stuff? Gives me the jeebies just thinking about it.

Bravo gents.
Trust me if it weren't ridiculously simple I wouldn't be able to do it, everything I have done is literally just plug and play, the most complicated work is getting the trims off, but there is loads of guidance on YouTube for that.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aux, c30, socket